Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question on Block Assembly >
  • Question on Block Assembly

• Question on Block Assembly

Old 05-23-2019, 07:17 AM

By the way, when I first saw the technique of drawing the diagonal line and sewing on it, I called it a "fabric wasteful" technique and kept to my old school traditional way of piecing and cutting triangles -- that was maybe 20 years ago. But the thing with small triangles is that sometimes you have as much fabric in the seam allowance as you do showing on the top and so with under 2" squares, there is very little real waste and for the last 10 or so years it is my go-to method for little triangles. Plus it is faster to cut even with drawing those lines, it is easier to figure out the correct cutting size when adjusting patterns to your desired size, you get more precise lines/angles, and it is fast and easy to sew as well especially for those of us with vision issues. While leaders/enders help, sometimes those tiny little triangle tops still get sucked into the machine while chain piecing.
    Old 05-24-2019, 03:13 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by TAMARATJO
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]613133[/ATTACH]
    I designed this block for a quilt using EQ8. I am a fan of Deb Tucker's rulers, and have most of them. So instead of making a bunch of HST's for the block, I looked at the shapes, and though I could make this with V block, flying geese, and pickets. It saves 12 seams in each block. Is this silly? or reasonable? I am not sure if less seams are better, or just an aesthetic difference. Thanks for any advice, or thoughts on construction.
    I love your block design! And that you are trying to reduce seams. Here's one more idea. Use a square-in-a-square technique on three side of this part... then, if using a light or white, those center seams will not show through.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]613186[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 20190524-reduce-seams.bmp  
    Old 05-24-2019, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by TAMARATJO
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]613133[/ATTACH]
    I designed this block for a quilt using EQ8. I am a fan of Deb Tucker's rulers, and have most of them. So instead of making a bunch of HST's for the block, I looked at the shapes, and though I could make this with V block, flying geese, and pickets. It saves 12 seams in each block. Is this silly? or reasonable? I am not sure if less seams are better, or just an aesthetic difference. Thanks for any advice, or thoughts on construction.
    Good idea. And I'd go one step further and make this section one block as well. Just do a flip corner.
    Sewing as few pieces as possible is good for me.
    Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2019-05-24-9.34.57-am.png  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-24-2019 at 03:48 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 05-26-2019, 08:40 AM

Great design Tamaratjo and thanks for all the hints the rest of our group added!