Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on Block Assembly >

Question on Block Assembly

Question on Block Assembly

Old 05-22-2019, 11:13 AM

Default Question on Block Assembly

[ATTACH=CONFIG]613133[/ATTACH]
I designed this block for a quilt using EQ8. I am a fan of Deb Tucker's rulers, and have most of them. So instead of making a bunch of HST's for the block, I looked at the shapes, and though I could make this with V block, flying geese, and pickets. It saves 12 seams in each block. Is this silly? or reasonable? I am not sure if less seams are better, or just an aesthetic difference. Thanks for any advice, or thoughts on construction.
Attached Thumbnails star-flower-block.jpg  
Old 05-22-2019, 11:45 AM

Some people like to reduce their pieces to the lowest common denominator, I prefer to save myself the time and matching of all the small pieces and try and make as few subunits as possible.

So, the corner squares in the blocks -- well those are squares and there aren't many options! The next square+half square I would cut as a rectangle of the print. Because of my vision issues I don't read rulers as well as I once did and so I would use the same size square as the corner and do the technique where you draw a line diagonally across and sew on the line, then trim off the excess. Same thing with the white in the middle, I'd start with a large square of white and sew on the blue around the three sides.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

TamaraTJo ... Lovely block design and I will look forward to seeing it stitched up and in a quilt! Personally, I like as few seams as possible ... less to match up, plus with seams out of the way, it may make it easy for some custom quilting added in. You could also convert it to a PP design, easy enough, if that is of interest to you.

IceBlossom ... I like the way you think, and would probably make it much the same as you, eliminating as many seams as possible
Old 05-22-2019, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

That is a lovely block. It is on a 7 x 7 grid - so a 3.5 , 7.0, 10.5, 14.0 17.5 size finished block would be easy to figure out if one still used graph paper to work things out.

I would use as few seams as possible.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:39 PM

I would try to minimize the number of seams as well. The white petals could be squares that are snowballed on three sides by the dark blue and eliminate even more seams than the FG would. I would make pickets for the outside edges, but note that they face in different directions. I would also use the V block trimmer for the center units.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:42 PM

What a pretty block. I played with it some in EQ7. It was too much light for me. I, also, turned your 4 on point squares into a square in a square block and snowballed the outside pieces of blue, which for me became purple. Here are a couple of versions that I would make in a heartbeat.

Edited to add: I didn't even notice the secondary pattern until I posted this. Cute, Cute, block!
Attached Thumbnails star-flower-block-tamaratjo-white.bmp   star-flower-block-tamaratjo.bmp  
Old 05-22-2019, 03:08 PM

Oh, I like the idea of doing the square in a square method! For me, cutting down on all of those hst's and their seams would be beneficial.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:13 AM

Don't know why I missed the square in a square block. MUCH better than a flying goose, and HST! Thanks everyone. Barb, nice designs!
Old 05-23-2019, 06:21 AM

WOW!! You gals are too smart & creative for me! Love both blocks. I noticed the square in-a-square block but would never have thought about it. I'm challenged in that I think strictly inside the box. It gets scary outside sometimes. Tks for sharing your designs. I'm going to give them a try for donation quilts. Be blessed. Kathy
Old 05-23-2019, 06:21 AM
anonymous

This is very similar and they incorporate the tri-rec ruler and seems like the square in square would work too. I am all for these rulers and less seams. https://plantedseeddesigns.com/produ...quilt-patterns