Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt shops and other places to visit in NYC >

Quilt shops and other places to visit in NYC

Quilt shops and other places to visit in NYC

Old 03-05-2018, 08:22 AM

Default Quilt shops and other places to visit in NYC

Good morning! I am visiting my son in April - I am so excited! First time visitor. He’s asking if there are any special things I want to do/places I want to see.

What are your favorite quilt shops in the area? He lives in Brooklyn and works in Manhattan.

Any other suggestions for not-to-be-missed places to visit? Thank you!
Old 03-05-2018, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Kennedy Center, Carnegie Hall. These are famous buildings. I am sure they have bunches of quilt stores. I could probably research those online.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:25 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

If it is nice weather, walk the Highline and see some wonderful scenery.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

I don't get down to the city very much but if you like museums the Museum of Natural History and the Metropolitan Museum of Art are definitely worth the visit. The Met has a complete Egyptian tomb on display. Either one could take a full day and you still won't see it all.

If you have the time and the $$ try to see a show! Nothing quite like Broadway and so many good shows. Often you can go to Times Square and get a matinee ticket for a bargain price.

The best known quilt shop in the city was City Quilter but they have closed. Some people say to go to the garment district in Manhattan but then you will be exposed to all kinds of fabrics, mostly for garments so you would have to sort through to find 100% quilting cottons. I have never been so can't say.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:21 AM

Try and see Radio City Music hall and I think everyone else suggested great places. My husband is from NYC and he took me around a lot. We took the Staten Island Ferry and went up to the Statue of Liberty. I know there is a quilt shop in NYC too but not too sure where. I will try and do some research and find out for you. I think the City Quilter was bought out but not sure. Have fun
Old 03-05-2018, 12:14 PM

​If the Circle Line is still going its worth the time. It goes around the island, and you see so much. Maybe someone from NYC knows if it still is working.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

GOTHAM QUILTS is on 40B W 37th Street. Open Tue & Wed 1-6pm,Thurs 1- 9pm, Fri 1-6pm,Sat & Sun 11am -4pm.I would check out times at gothamquilts.com. I got some beautiful fabric there and staff were very helpful.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:43 PM

Take the Staten Island Ferry. Great views of lower Manhattan from the deck. Fare is free! Very, very crowded during rush hours (your son can tell you when these are) - but ferries run 24 hours/7 days week, so you should be able to get in a round-trip (takes about 1 hour or so) sometime.

Empire State Building observatory for a 360 degree view of NYC and surrounding areas. Statue of Liberty (accessible by boat only). Carriage ride through Central Park. High tea at the Palm Court, Plaza Hotel in Manhattan. Lots to do and see. Wear very comfortable shoes and do not carry a large handbag! I always use a fanny pack or a cross body small messenger type bag when in NYC. (I grew up there).

Mood Fabrics- 225 West 37th St., NYC (Project Runway shops there). They do sell "cottons", but not sure if they are quilting cottons or what. They have a web site and toll-free number if you want to check prior to your trip. Other than that, I think someone already mentioned Gotham Quilts.

Have a great time in NYC! It is an awesome city.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:33 AM

My favorite museum is the Cloisters. It is so peaceful and serene and the unicorn tapestries are beautiful. I could stay there forever.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

As much as I love quilting, NY would be the last place I'd look. There is so much to see and do there! It's my favorite city on the planet