Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Magazines ?? >
  • Quilting Magazines ??

• Quilting Magazines ??

Old 02-20-2014, 10:55 AM

Quilters World has a good mix of patterns. I picked up one this week I had never seen before called Quilt With Scraps from the publishers of Thread magazine. I was really impressed by the step by step instructions on each step.It would be a great magazine for one just starting out. I don't know if it is one that will be around all the time or just a one time magazine. It has Spring 2014 so it may be out four times a year. It has quilt's, runners, bags and pillows in this issue.
    Old 02-20-2014, 11:00 AM

My favorite magazine is American Patchwork & Quilting. They have a variety and also show different color schemes and the quilting for each piece.
    Old 02-20-2014, 06:38 PM

Thanks for all the magazine ideas. The Quilting World sounds like they have an interesting issue coming out. I guess it is a hit or miss with the different issues. I don't have a large book store near by so it's hard to see what is out there. Thanks again for all your input.
    Old 02-20-2014, 06:41 PM
    Power Poster

I have taken to buying off the rack too. Then I know I am getting something I want. There are so many cute patterns on line, so I really don't need a stack of magazines to store and collect dust.
    Old 02-20-2014, 06:45 PM

Stitch Magazine (I think it is published by Interweave) has a nice variety of projects like you describe.
    Old 02-20-2014, 07:09 PM

Unless you really love to collect magazines or like looking at the quilt pictures in them, I have found it easier to purchase the mags that i want from the store. Most of the quilt magazines have websites often with free patterns from their magazines.

You can find so so many quilt patterns online free. If you sign up for a free newsletter from Fave Quilts you will receive a weekly newsletter with free quilt patterns that this site has collected from many of the popular blogs such as Red Pepper Quilts, Sew Mam Sew, etc. all neatly sitting in your email inbox. American Patchwork's website is Allpeoplequilt.com which has many free quilt patterns from their magazine issues. Tipnut.com has all sorts of free projects for you to dive into.

Since you are just starting out in this oh so expensive habit, you may want to consider just browsing the magazines on the newsstands first to see which ones interest you and perhaps save your funds for the fabric obsession you are sure to acquire. Enjoy your new crafting journey. It will be fun.

@BrendaK I had the same experience with applying for trial issues of quilt magazines to see which one I would be interested in. No subscriptions for me. If there is a quilt pattern I see online that is in an older magazine, I usually go to Ebay to see if I can purchase it.
    Old 02-20-2014, 08:24 PM

Missouri star quilt company,Jenny Doan has a magazine calling the "block". Advertising free and reasonable. Go to her website to sign up. I am waiting on my first issue to be delivered to my door any day! *anxiously awaiting*! It is my choice.
    Old 02-21-2014, 05:05 AM

I prefer to purchase off the store rack also. I have a subscription to Fon's and Porter that I'm letting expire. Sometimes there just isn't a pattern I'm interested in and I almost immediately give the magazine away.
    Old 02-21-2014, 08:57 AM

I used to subscribe to a couple of magazines, but the bookstores do a better job of having a variety of quilting magazines than they used to, so I just buy the issues I like now. Makes for less storage of issues I don't use.
    Old 02-21-2014, 01:45 PM

I liked McCall's Quilting magazine but my subscription ran out. I am putting myself on a magazine diet. Only one at a time. I, too, just subscribed to the new one from Missouri Star Quilt Co. They are just starting out with one that will come out bi-monthly.