Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Raw edge applique >
  • Raw edge applique

• Raw edge applique

Old 10-29-2014, 06:23 AM

Default Raw edge applique

I recently bought a book online about how to construct/design raw edge applique but they sent the wrong book and the one I selected is now only available in "ebook" format and I want a printed edition. I am tired of using more traditional patterns designed by others and want to try my hand at my own designs. I am not looking to do portraits, more landscapes and floral...maybe from a photographs but more from my own drawings and I am wondering what one book or two have you found most helpful and inspiring?
    Old 10-29-2014, 09:11 AM
    Power Poster

I can't help you because all of my applique books are more traditional quilting. Good Luck.
    Old 10-29-2014, 10:03 PM

Look at childs coloring books. The designs are basic and simple and can be converted into appliques quite easily. Also go to your local used book stores in their craft sections. You may find books/ideas there. I found several sponge/stencil painting books {with the templates } to be quite handy! By incorporating these you can make raw applique to your hearts desire many times by just changing them slightly.

Cindy in TN
    Old 10-29-2014, 10:43 PM

I would go into the painting section of a library or even google and look for how to draw books or. On google just search a subject ie teddy bears then search and look in the images. If you can draw you can copy the images you like freehand.
    Old 10-30-2014, 02:56 AM

gloria loughman has very good books on landscape quilts as well as a very helpful craftsy class that works from a picture to construct a quilt. also wendy butler burns craftsy class i found was a very good starting point for working from pictures to create quilts.
    Old 10-30-2014, 06:44 AM

These are just the kind of suggestions I need...I can draw and paint but need some direction as to how to proceed. Please keep the ideas coming as I am fairly new to quilting but already a bit bored following the patterns of others.
    Old 10-30-2014, 12:52 PM

I don't really think you need a book. Draw up an idea. Starch your fabric. Make some practice blocks. The idea of raw edge is that you stitch just a bit inside your applique edge and that edge will fray and be sort of soft. You might want to try either using a fusible to hold the applique until you stitch it or use the wonderful Elmer's glue - probably the washable glue stick in this case. Make a bunch of smaller practice blocks - if you like them you can use them in a quilt; if you don't like them you can throw them away - they will have taught you what you don't like!