Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Should I or Shouldn't I >
  • Should I or Shouldn't I

• Should I or Shouldn't I

Old 03-02-2016, 10:53 PM

Default Should I or Shouldn't I

I am finally finishing up a kit from Jinny Beyer I started several years ago. It was supposed to be for a beginner so I didn't anticipate any difficulty as I am not a beginning quilter. When I got the kit I found some of the squares were cut from strips 3/4" wide and 7/8" 1 1/4" etc up to 3 1/2". The strips were then subcut crosswise into the same widths. I did my best sewing with a Bernina 880 with a walking foot engaged all the time? There final blocks turn out to be 17" square. But there are places where the seams don't match up perfectly or I have had to take a small tuck. Our quilt show in conjunction with AQS will be in May. Would I dare put something like this in the show? I've never entered a quilt show before. It did turn out very striking until you get up really close and look for the flaws.
    Old 03-02-2016, 10:57 PM

Please show us a picture!
    Old 03-02-2016, 11:14 PM

Pictures to make an informed reply.
    Old 03-02-2016, 11:39 PM

Is there someone locally you could show it to and ask? That is what I would do.
    Old 03-03-2016, 02:49 AM

Is there a reason why you are considering holding it back? Speaking only for myself, I love looking at all kinds of quilts. Sure, if the seams are off even a little bit, it's not going to place at QuiltWeek but other quilters could still find it beautiful and learn from your techniques or be inspired by the colors or design.

Jinny Beyer's levels remind me of skiing in deep powder snow out in Utah after spending my entire life skiing on the artificial snow of the Midwest. Park City right after a snow storm was probably the most beautiful sight I've ever seen on earth, but even their beginner slopes gave me a run for my money -- and I'm used to Double-Advanced rated slopes in Wisconsin/Michigan. Ms. Beyer creates stunning fabrics & equally stunning quilts but the precision required to match up both the fabric design & the pattern pieces is not something I would ever describe as "beginner". Nonetheless, I have no doubt that your quilt is quite beautiful and worthy of being put on display. If it's a juried show, all the better because you can get some positive feedback and some helpful tips for the next time.
    Old 03-03-2016, 05:12 AM

My quilts are nowhere near perfect and will never win a ribbon, but I still enter them in shows just because I like to show them off.
    Old 03-03-2016, 07:20 AM

Yes. The best thing is to say you had one in a show. Win or lose you have a good pat on the back for putting it out there. Not everyone is going to win the ribbon anyway. You just make the show more interesting. Think how boring it would be if only the ribbon winners were out there.
    Old 03-03-2016, 09:53 AM
    Power Poster

It depends on the type of show. If it is a local quilt show, I would enter it but if it is a quilt show that requires an entry fee, I wouldn't. Judges will look very closely at the quilting, the piecing and the binding. You may get some comments back.
    Old 03-03-2016, 10:09 AM

Why pieced with a walking foot? I've never.....just curious
    Old 03-03-2016, 12:01 PM

Geri has a good point. If it was a true walking foot rather than a built-in dual feed foot, sometimes that can cause issues with piecing. I'd suggest getting a "Patchwork Foot" (also called a 1/4" foot) instead. It will make it much easier to keep a consistent seam and I know I usually can also sew a bit faster with a regular or 1/4" foot rather than a walking foot.

The exceptions would be if you're working with plaids, knits or bulky fabrics like minkee. And certainly, if you have a Dual Feed system rather than a walking foot attachment, that is a whole different animal. I've pieced with that engaged with no problem (may even be a slight advantage). Every quilter has their own preferences, but I'd maybe give the 1/4" foot a try and see what you think. They have ones that are just the plain skinny foot & others with an attached seam guide. For my old Singer, I have the kind with the seam guide attached. For my new Bernina, I have the plain Patchwork Foot, but then I have a separate guide that screws into the bed of my machine to keep the consistent 1/4" feeding through.