Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Show me your cutting table!! >
  • Show me your cutting table!!

• Show me your cutting table!!

Old 04-19-2018, 04:15 AM

I was thinking of heading to Ikea today. I need a couple of cabinets to put an ironing table on top of. My cutting table is 4 feet by 4 feet. I love it. It is the perfect height to stand at and cut. Lots of storage underneath. Look on Pinterest for Ikea sewing room ideas.
    Old 04-19-2018, 05:02 AM

I bought a table top from IKEA about 7 years ago. Then bought legs that were adjustable by hand. Now IKEA has a table that can be adjusted electrically. It's similar to the one Martelli has, but not totally as adjustable as Martelli's. I bought legs that flanged out instead of were straight...big mistake. (Sometimes husband's are wrong!!) I can't store as much under it because of that. I don't have the name of the IKEA adjustable table, but it sure looked good. My IKEA table has held up very well.
    Old 04-19-2018, 05:33 AM

Where did you find this mirror table folding stand? It would be perfect for my space restrictions!
    thanks
    Old 04-19-2018, 06:04 AM

You guys are awesome!! I have a lot to think about!
    Old 04-19-2018, 06:09 AM

I use an old ping pong table
    Old 04-19-2018, 06:19 AM

JoAnns, about 20 years ago. Still perfect. I wonder how many yards of fabric I've cut on this table. (and recut and recut smaller and smaller (: )
    Attached Thumbnails after.jpg  
    Old 04-19-2018, 06:57 AM

I'm using the bottoms of custom built bookcases. These are enclosed with doors to hide my magazines and quilt books. I added a 4 x 8 x 5.8" piece of plywood to the top and then a small trim piece around the edge to hide the edge of the plywood. Added brackets about halfway down between the 2 bookcases to add another piece of plywood to house my smaller totes of scraps, fat quarters and pre-cuts. I purchased a self-healing cutting mat, one side is green and the other side is black, both with markings for the top. The top photo shows the newest cutting mat. The other photos were before I changed out mats. You can also see the changes I made in my fabric shelves as well as the big board on my ironing board. Bottom 2 photos were when I had just moved in and was still figuring out how to arrange things. The top photo is how it is now.
    Attached Thumbnails fabric-room-2-2017.jpg   mostly-fat-quarters.jpg   cutting-room-2.jpg  
    Old 04-19-2018, 07:18 AM

My table is like Kalama Quilts. I bought it in Arizona 20 some years ago and wouldn't trade it for the world. Perfect height and mostly big enough except when I load it up with too much stuff! Good luck at Ikea.
    Old 04-19-2018, 07:54 AM

No pics with me right now, I am at DD's helping with new grandson. I hope you don't mind, I'm linking my Pinterest board showing my sewing furniture. My cutting/craft/storage table is in our family room (I do not have a dedicated sewing room) and takes up a lot of space. I have a lot of storage in it. If I were doing it again, I would use one less Expedit unit (each unit is 4 cubes). Currently, there are 4 of the Expedits; 1 turned to open on left end, 1 across back, 2 stacked on right end. I would probably go with turning both end units to open to side. The problem with tht is that I wouldn't have storage for long, deep things like stiff interfacing that I don't want to fold.
    Right now, I can just roll it and it fits. www.pinterest.com/piecefuljoy/quilting-areas

If you need more info than what is given in the pictures, I will try to help you!

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 04-19-2018 at 07:59 AM.
    Old 04-19-2018, 08:02 AM

I should also mention, there is are Ikea hacker's pages where folks post Ikea products altered or used other than as originally intended by Ikea. I love Ikea, but we do not have one near our home. I only get to visit occasionally when I visit DD.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=ik...p=mss&ei=UTF-8