Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • space bags and quilts??? >
  • space bags and quilts???

• space bags and quilts???

Old 06-08-2015, 08:21 AM

Default space bags and quilts???

is it ok to store your quilts in a space bag, there the kind that you suck the air out with your vacuum and them the bag is really small

I have so many quilts I am running out of room to were to put them to keep them clean and out of the way..right now I have 6 quilts folded up stacked in my spare bed room and a few on the bed, I love making quilts and giving them away but you can only give so many away before they say NO more quilts.. haha

I have also 2 large chests full of quilts...oh boy I think I have way to many quilts haha and still sewing and quilting..

Does anyone else have this problem of where to store your quilts?
    Old 06-08-2015, 08:52 AM

I hope the answer to this is "yes." I have several stored just this way...my husband's idea and I just went along with it.

Dina
    Old 06-08-2015, 08:57 AM

I also hope the answer is "yes" I am running into the same problem and I keep making them!
    Old 06-08-2015, 09:05 AM

I would not and I urge the recipients of the quilts I make not to do this. The batting gets compressed and the loft will never be the same. Many years ago, when buying two high-end sleeping bags rated for low temperatures from a camping specialty store, the salesclerk mentioned not even storing the sleeping bags longterm in their nylon travel cases. The loft and temperature rating of the sleeping bags would be compromised, and that was what we were paying for.
    Old 06-08-2015, 09:20 AM

I'm not that prolific a quilter and I'm finding I have at least a dozen quilts just hanging around the house at any given time. I'm making more of an effort to give them to friends and family where suitable. I don't know about storing quilts in Space Bags, but what about storing fabric that way? I think I would only do it with flat pieces of fabric, not folded, because the folds would be so hard to get rid of. Any thoughts on that?
    Old 06-08-2015, 09:29 AM
    Power Poster

I am like the princess and the pea, I just keep layering the spare bed with quilts. I do have a few rolled on a carpet cardboard (that I covered) in the corner of the spare room closet as well.
    Old 06-08-2015, 09:29 AM
    Power Poster

I have stored a few this way for 10+ years, without damage. I do take them out of the bags a couple times a year, fluff them up, let them breath for a bit. I tend to rotate the quilts we use, the winter quilt, spring/summer, and fall. So they get their time out of the bags and through the year gifting/donating occasions come up like weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, fundraisers, -- reasons to get them out & share/pass them on. But, I do love those space bags! And I do have a couple quilts that only come out for a few days each year, a fluff/rest then back in the bag. They've not suffered or show any sign of batting breakdown or permanent creases. I do fold them different each time they come out
    Old 06-08-2015, 11:02 AM

I've stored a few this way and when I took them out, they stunk from the plastic. I got rid of all those plastic bags.
    Old 06-08-2015, 11:20 AM
    Power Poster

I save the silica packets and you can purchase them on line. When the air hits the blankets/quilts after opening them up. You can give them a shake or toss them in the dryer on air fluff. I wouldn't store them any more than a year at a time. Give them a seasonal refreshening. Hang them outside especially when it's cold and crisp but not wet.
    Old 06-08-2015, 02:33 PM

I have started donating quilts that aren't for a specific person. I'm trying to use up some of my "extras". Sorry, don't really have an answer for you. It would make me a little uncomfortable to have so many quilts around, but then that's just me