Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Terial Magic >
  • Terial Magic

• Terial Magic

Old 01-16-2017, 06:01 PM

Default Terial Magic

Has anyone ever used when piecing quilt? If so does it washout of quilt completely?
    Old 01-16-2017, 07:09 PM
    Power Poster

never heard of this product... had to look it up. The product descriptions and q&a's say it is water soluble and washes completely out. very interesting. https://www.amazon.com/Terial-Arts-M.../dp/B00KIFBMKO
    Old 01-16-2017, 07:15 PM

I have this product but have not used it for piecing - I use it for machine embroidery. It really stiffens the fabric; almost a cardboard texture and I am able to machine embroider without a stabilizer for some cottons.
    Old 01-16-2017, 07:18 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cactus Stitchin
    I have this product but have not used it for piecing - I use it for machine embroidery. It really stiffens the fabric; almost a cardboard texture and I am able to machine embroider without a stabilizer for some cottons.
    Hmmmm... I see your avatar uses stiffener... perhaps it would be good for fold n stitch wreaths
    Old 01-17-2017, 02:10 AM
    Gay

I haven't used this product, but don't imagine it would be any better than using starch. There is also a video on using it on fabric to print photos with a printer. However, unless you buy fabric treated for printing on (and you may not need it stiffened any more for that ) the picture will wash out.

You will need to pre-treat your fabric with Bubble-Jet-Set first, and when that is dry, then use the Terial Magic. I don't think the lady in the video mentioned that, perhaps she doesn't know about it.
    Old 01-17-2017, 05:43 AM

Whenever I need fabric to be super stiff I use Sta Flo straight, no mixing. I will apply sta flo to all of the fabric, lay it out and let dry for a bit then iron dry. I can see how this would interfere with printing on fabric. When printing on fabric you want the ink to soak into the fabric. Any type of starch product will prevent that from happening. I'm just not sure I see the benefit of this product for that price. Of course, there are a lot of people unaware of Sta Flo starch. For super stiff fabric you could do like the military, mix wood glue and water.
    Old 01-17-2017, 01:54 PM

I received a bottle of Terial Magic as a gift and have used it when piecing.
    It's nothing like starch. This stuff makes the fabric VERY stiff. Almost like cardstock paper.
    I think it's overkill for just regular piecing; but if you definitely need something to be REALLY STIFF, this is perfect!
    Old 01-17-2017, 05:20 PM

People use this product to stiffen material that they will cut with there Scan n Cut machine. Material needs to be stiff for a good cut. It does was out with no problem.
    Old 01-17-2017, 07:15 PM
    Power Poster

I use it when I have a lot of bias pieces to sew. It gets much stiffer then the undiluted Sta Flo. And the glue and water will scorch fast with a hot iron and stink when pressed.
    Old 01-17-2017, 08:49 PM

I saw a demo on it and bought it but haven't had an opportunity to use it yet. Gal had embroidered on a piece of silk and actually stood it up on the floor! I think it would work well for hankies (wedding and funerals etc) with wording. No stabilizer required. I am looking forward to trying it out.