Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tip from Man Sewing Rod Appell >
  • Tip from Man Sewing Rod Appell

• Tip from Man Sewing Rod Appell

Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 PM

I just read this somewhere good tip.
    I have been doing much hand embroidery. my sister informed me you need to seperate all 6 threads and then put together how many you care to use. very little trouble when you do this. also I just read that when threading your needle for embroidery instead of wetting the thread before you thread the needle, (which I always do) you are to moisten the eye of the needle also. Tried this today and it is sooooo much easier to thread the needle. who would have thought !
    Old 03-03-2015, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by janjj
    I just read this somewhere good tip.
    I have been doing much hand embroidery. my sister informed me you need to seperate all 6 threads and then put together how many you care to use. very little trouble when you do this. also I just read that when threading your needle for embroidery instead of wetting the thread before you thread the needle, (which I always do) you are to moisten the eye of the needle also. Tried this today and it is sooooo much easier to thread the needle. who would have thought !
    I used to do a lot of cross stitch and that was the standard for it. Separate all 6 strands and then put however many you need back together. Then they're not all twisted together.
    Old 03-03-2015, 07:30 PM

Was taught this when I was a young girl
    Old 03-04-2015, 05:12 AM

I worked in sewing factories many many years and this is the fist thing they tell you. never pull back always pull through from the needle.
    Old 03-04-2015, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by carol45
    The guy who services my machine told me the following: With the presser foot up, the tension disks are not together, so you can pull the thread in either direction without doing any harm.
    My guy says the same thing, plus, with no resistance on the thread from the discs, there is no lint left behind. Any lint in the disc area is from thread going through the 'right' way under pressure, not the 'wrong' way pressure free, same with the bobbin.

I'll stick with unthreading from the top, presser foot up, and delinting the discs with pipe cleaners when I delint the bobbin area. In half a century of sewing, I've never had tension issues on any machine from doing it this way and see no reason to change now. Were I to buy a fussy new machine, I might reconsider.

Regarding the bobbin suggestion from Jan, think about this:
    If you believe thread leaves excess lint when being pulled back towards the spool, thus assuming it has a nap (which modern thread doesn't), then why would bobbin thread leave more lint when being pulled back through the bobbin casing? It's not logical.

Bobbin thread is wound in the opposite direction than spool thread so it normally feeds through the machine in the opposite direction. It would leave less lint going backwards, not more, because 'backward' for the bobbin is 'forward' from the spool. Makes no sense at all. Moot point since the quantity of thread lint left behind is not affected by direction of pull, only by pressure applied.

Bottom line, do whatever you decide is best for you considering your machine, your warranty, and your dealer's counsel.
    Old 03-04-2015, 09:49 AM

When I bought my Bernina 820, I was specifically told to do it that way. Before that, I never really paid much attention to how I removed the thread. Never had any problems but maybe I was just lucky.
    Old 03-04-2015, 04:36 PM

I raise my presser foot, pull the thread out of the needle and just reverse the thread back to the spool. If the presser foot is up there is no tension remaining in the disks and the thread just falls out of this area. No wasted thread.