Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tips For First Bargello Quilt?? >
  • Tips For First Bargello Quilt??

• Tips For First Bargello Quilt??

Old 12-20-2013, 07:07 AM

Default Tips For First Bargello Quilt??

I am a fairly new quilter and have just discovered the beautiful bargello quilting designs. Have you made a bargello quilt? If so, what tips do you have? On average, how many different colors do you need--and are they best with a large difference from light to dark shades or would a range of neutrals have the same dramatic effect? Also trying to decide whether to use prints, batiks or solids?
    Old 12-20-2013, 07:23 AM

My avatar is a bargello in a range of nuetrals (mostly batiks, some prints).. so yes ... it can work.

Average ... I've seen bargello patterns use as few as 7 colors, and the upward limit is well beyond 20. I don't remember how many are in my avatar.

Tips .. plenty

1) Take your time choosing fabics. It's not a race.
    2) If you use prints or mottles, make sure that the color change from one area to another is equal to or less than the smallest bargello strip you will cut. For example working with a pattern that uses a .5" (cut size) bargello strip you would want to avoid a print that has 3" white dots spaced 4" from each other on a black background. Ditto for batiks with "washes" of color in large splotches of varying shades. By avoiding these you will be able to maintain uniformity of color.
    3) Sorting your fabrics - there are two ways to sort, you may need one or both. By color and by value. Two color bargello's will require you to first sort by color and then by value. My avatar is a single "color" bargello therefore I only sorted by value.
    4) Sorting by value ... there are three tools that I use. A red viewer (to view all colors except reds and browns), a blue viewer (to view all colors except blues and greens), and a photograph converted to black and white. I use the color viewers for quick views while I working with the fabrics. Once I think I like a selection I take a photo and convert it to B&W. B&W conversion will help you to determine value - but you must have first sorted by color.
    5) Once you've decided label your strips. Keep a small sample of the fabric on your design wall with a lable so there is no question which blue is in which position.
    6) SPRAY STARCH. You will be handling these strips a lot through the course of the bargello. Spray starch is going to be your best friend.
    Old 12-20-2013, 07:27 AM

7) Straight seams. Make sure you have absolutely straight seams and make sure the seam allowance is consistent from strip to strip.
    8) Once you start cutting the bargello strips (the ones that will form the design) hang them on your design wall in order. Don't sew them together as you go. Once you have them all hung, stand back and look and make sure it's all correct - then sew them together. My avatar was sewn together as I went and when I was finished I decided I wanted to change the design. Picking out all those bargello seams wasn't fun. So now I resist the temptation to sew the strips together until I've seen a sample of the finished product.

During the process .. just make sure that you keep track of where you are in the pattern, which color is which - etc. Organization is the key - especially with some of the more complicated bargello's that require you split the tubes and rejoin repeats.

And have fun!!
    Old 12-20-2013, 08:05 AM

Addng to the above
    9) Cut from two rings of fabric, with seams pressed in opposite directions OR
    Press seams in every other strip in opposite directions.
    This helps the seams lock in place as you're sewing to get the corners to match better.

I think most bargellos I've seen have 11 or 13 fabrics, although this isn't an absolute rule.
    Old 12-20-2013, 08:36 AM

The above tips are great tips, I do most of them but deviate with one ... I press my seams open. It helps to blend the colorways better as the strips lay flatter. There isn't that ridge when pressing the seams to one side.
    I have done bargellos with as few as 8 , and as many as 30 different fabrics.
    Old 12-20-2013, 08:37 AM
    KLO

What great information you two have given. I will be saving all of these steps for when I make my first bargello.
    Old 12-20-2013, 08:48 AM

I like a slight gradation for bargello where you see a gradual shift in color. Tip is to work in sections
    Old 12-20-2013, 09:19 AM

Thanks so very much for your thorough and thoughtful responses--great helpful information! And I love both of your bargello avatars--quite inspiring! I am looking forward to giving a bargello a try very soon.
    Old 12-20-2013, 01:39 PM

I just made my first bargello, and this is all good advice!!! I am just now attaching my borders. Want to see? I am very pleased with this quilt. (it is a Surf Song pattern from TWist and Tun Bargello Quilts by Eileen Wright. Mine is the wall hanging size.)

Dina
    Attached Thumbnails s8001609.jpg  
    Old 12-20-2013, 01:46 PM

Okay, I have thought of two tips that might help. First, read the instructions over and over. They start to make sense after a while. Second, you might consider making a small bargello to get the feel for the instructions. I made a placemat and it really helped me understand the technique. (Maybe I can find a picture of the placemat....though I don't use it as a placemat. I made it a "quilt" for my cat's basket here in the sewing room)

Okay, I found a picture. Notice it is not the same pattern at all, but I learned a lot by making the small version first.)

Dina
    Attached Thumbnails s8001584.jpg