Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Triangle rulers any sugestions >
  • Triangle rulers any sugestions

• Triangle rulers any sugestions

Old 04-22-2011, 04:06 AM

I am looking to buy a triange ruler, I have been browsing the web and I found all kinds. Which brand or kind do you recomend? I want to try some of the patterns out there. Since I am new to quilting I am lost as to which ones to invest in.
    Thanks

Cookie

PS I love this board I have been watching for a couple of months now and have learned so much.
    Old 04-22-2011, 04:44 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

It depends what you want it for. I have the Marti Mitchell kaleidoscope rulers in two sizes which are right angle triangles and help you calculate and cut segments and corner triangles for octagon blocks and I have the Clearview 6" ruler for cutting equilateral triangles (ie 60 degrees) for making the hexagon blocks required for One Block Wonders. You could also use this to cut the triangles for 1000 pyramids..
    Old 04-22-2011, 04:44 AM

Kinda hard to say which ruler if you don't have a particular project in mind. Can't say that I actually have knowledge of a "general" triangle ruler. Maybe someone else will come along with more knowledge.
    Old 04-22-2011, 04:47 AM

What ruler did you use for your avatar quilt ? I am going to do a OBW class next month . I need to get a ruler ordered asap !
    Old 04-22-2011, 04:56 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by kimscruzer
    What ruler did you use for your avatar quilt ? I am going to do a OBW class next month . I need to get a ruler ordered asap !
    My avatar was made using the Block Bender technique by Margaret Miller. I cut several different templates from template plastic and each piece is individually cut as they include both half square and half rectangle triangles of various dimensions. I posted it here http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-106755-1.htm :-D
    Old 04-22-2011, 04:59 AM

I have a 60* (degree) Triangle Ruler that can be used to cut 3" to 9" triangles made by Marti Michell -Prod#8963-. On the ruler it has www.frommarti.com .. I guess that's her site. I don't remember where I purchased mine.

I'll be using it to make the 'Smoothing Iron' blocks from an old Fons/Porter book.

HTH ~
    Old 04-22-2011, 05:32 AM

I would suggest finding a triangle project you like and getting a ruler to go with it, there are just so many options out there and I think it's hard to buy a universal triangle ruler. I have also found that many triangle projects can be done with your regular rulers and the angle lines they have on them. That's how I did my OBW.

Good luck!
    Rachel
    Old 04-22-2011, 07:37 AM

Starmaker rulers from Kaye Wood. These 3 rulers are most every angle a quilter uses (not the 9-10 degrees). No the markings for all of the patterns are not there, but they work great for all that you may want to do.
    Old 04-22-2011, 07:56 AM
    RDM

I'm also interested in the answers here. I have the Clearview Super 60-, used it for Sara Nephew quilt patterns. I'd add it to your collection as it can cut diamonds, half-diamonds, pyramids, half-pyramids, hexagon, teardrop.
    Old 04-22-2011, 08:31 AM
    Power Poster

For some projects it's nice to have the triangle with the points cut off, but for others (with the OBW for example) you need to keep the points. There's also a difference in how some of the triangle rulers are marked. Some measure the height of the triangle, and others measure the finished size. Marti Michell explains it here: http://www.frommarti.com/60deg.shtml