Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tuesday Morning Knock off fabric >
  • Tuesday Morning Knock off fabric

• Tuesday Morning Knock off fabric

Old 10-20-2012, 12:48 PM

I would agree to check how it feels. I checked some I found there and it was very lightweight and felt like it might not hold up well.
    Old 10-21-2012, 12:29 AM

i can imagine that the company that makes riley blake fabric makes a few runs of fabric to check colors or designs. after that, they would choose which ones to keep and which to pack up and get rid of. perhaps something went wrong with the "real" run, like the color was all wrong because a machine didn't mix it correctly. for any reason, riley blake wasn't happy, so tuesday morning bought it all at a discount. this doesn't mean that the fabric itself is a second (like little tears in it or overlapping designs), it just means that it wasn't what riley blake wanted (colors). i was a manager of a tuesday morning, and TMI keeps true to the rules when receiving merchandise, like having the appropriate tags on items - refer to the tags on pillows, and other things, that you can't remove by penalty of law (you can, but the companies that sell them can't because it has the valuable information on it that says that the appropriate rules have been followed.) all of that said, if you like the feel and the price is right, buy it. go forth and make wonderful things with it!
    Old 10-21-2012, 03:27 AM

I am not sure if this still applys but years ago the big fabric manufacturers made several grades of the same fabric. That is one reason why Wal-mart could sell a fabric for $2.88 when it was $7.99 in the LQS. (remember I'm talking some years back.) I bought a apron panel from the LQS for this higher price and when I needed another panel bought it from Wal-mart. Since I had both panels right in front of me at the same time the differences were obvious. I also remember that the infomation given in the salvage was the same. Could this be the situation with your fabric from Tuesday Morning?
    Old 10-21-2012, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by CheetoGuido
    Hello Ladies, I thought i would come to you first for advice. I found knock off Riley Blake Farm Fresh precuts at my Tuesday Morning store. They had the same Farm Fresh name but from a different company and it said made in China. Do you think they would hold up in a quilt? The looked very close to my real fabric as far as color. And they were priced very nicely!
    Thanks!
    I have found various sewing notions at Tuesday Mornings in the past. I have picked up Fons and Porter leather thimbles, rulers, pins, and DVDs and more for pennies compared to what I would pay in a fabric store. They do carry some fabric, though not a lot. I bought a one yard cut of green fabric which felt wonderful and gave me no problems washing and/or sewing. Not all of their fabric is created equally, so I don't depend on finding something whenever I am there. I thought the items were overstocks from different suppliers so I gladly took them off theirhands.
    Old 10-21-2012, 03:38 AM

The Tuesday Morning where I live had fat quarters, charm packs and a few jellies...of course I bought some charm packs and fat quarters...They also had a quilt kit from Windham fabrics for 30.00 which I may go back and get...
    Old 10-21-2012, 04:27 AM

I bought it two days ago. How can another company use Riley Blake's name?
    Old 10-21-2012, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    If it were me, I'd use it. If it feels good to me and I like the look, I use it. Many people will disagree because of concerns of how the quilt will last in 40 years. It may be a valid concern, but I just don't worry about it. I love to make quilts but have to stretch the money where I can so I use what I can afford. Do what feels right to your sense of style and budget.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Old 10-21-2012, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH
    I think of this more as a moral and legal issue. To me it's a question of whether I would buy it at all. I would not, and I would let Moda know about these counterfeits. It's not legal for them to just copy another company's fabric designs. If you let Moda know, you might even get rewarded with some of the genuine fabrics.
    I doubt it..lol

If Moda won't even respond to an issue with their Layer cakes being cut too small. (A thread about this is on the forum)
    Why would they reward someone with a gift of free fabric?
    Old 10-21-2012, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    If it were me, I'd use it. If it feels good to me and I like the look, I use it. Many people will disagree because of concerns of how the quilt will last in 40 years. It may be a valid concern, but I just don't worry about it. I love to make quilts but have to stretch the money where I can so I use what I can afford. Do what feels right to your sense of style and budget.
    i agree with you. I don't think that my great-grandmother and grandmother thought about whether the quilts would last 40+ years when they made their quilts out of our outgrown clothing!! And I'm still using them and it's 40+ years later. If you like a fabric and the feel of it is good, go for it!!
    Old 10-21-2012, 05:41 AM

Check the year on the salvage- 2010. This fabric is several seasons old so seems like this is Left over/unsold fabric from that season. Doesn't mean that it is bad or counterfit. TM is a reputible chain and I would like to think that they do not sell knock-off. If the price is right, you need to fabric and you like the print BUY IT!!!!! If you are going to agonize over it then leave it for someone who really likes. What is the big deal!!!!!!