Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual Quilt Retreat - March Edition 3-22-13 >
  • Virtual Quilt Retreat - March Edition 3-22-13

• Virtual Quilt Retreat - March Edition 3-22-13

Old 03-22-2013, 06:33 AM

Checking in. Will be working on the table runner today.
    Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric
    Checking in. Will be working on the table runner today.
    I cheated and only am doing one of them. And had to piece it for the instructions anyhow. so today I am going to run to my local LQS for some fabric for a circle quilt I'll back/quilt it tomorrow.

Ok, I know I know how to do these braids, have made tons of them. It took me 3hrs to do that silly center I selected and about 45mins to go from center and cut fabric to trimmed up top. So dont panic. And be prepared for it to go fast once you get in the groove! I wouldnt be surprised to see everyone done tonight! at least with the topper. If that happens, I will quickly write up the instructions for that double handed quilted pot holder. If you want to make a set. I made a ton of them for christmas one year. Everyone got a table runner and pot holder
    Old 03-22-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT
    Yes, but since my ruler is shorter than the length of the runner, I have to make 4 cuts. I am sorry, I wasnt very clear. You are trimming 2 sides of the runner, but with 4 cuts
    that makes more sense.....thanks. I just got my center square together. Won't go into the "stupid" details. Should have only taken 15 minutes to make pinwheels but didn't have enough fabric so had to improvise....
    Old 03-22-2013, 10:42 AM

Yep took me 3 hours to do a simple paper piecing center **insert rolling eyes*** and only 45mins to do the rest....lol
    Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM

OK I started this this morning. First I did a paper pieced block for the center. That was a first for me, not sure I like doing PP, it seems to take a lot more time to do them but it could be me. Now I did my strips 2 1/2" because I had them already in my scraps and I'm trying to use them up. One strip is only 2", LOL I really wanted to use that piece and that's all I had of it.

Now that I'm done with half of it, I realize it's going to be way to long for any table that I have so I think I'll turn this one into a small quilt.

I am so glad that we have 3 days to work on these because now i have to start over and try to find colors for a smaller version. Here's what I did this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails dscn1366.jpg  
    Old 03-22-2013, 10:51 AM

That is amazing!! looks great. French Braid quilts are addictive so be careful!

Careful with the center vs strip width, you dont want the braids to overpower the center block. I generally keep a finished 1.5" with any center block less than 10". Once I start getting up to 10" centers I bump up the strips to 2". Yours works as is just wanted to add that tidbit for everyone.

And you can put tassels on the end points and let it hang over the table

Last edited by CarolynMT; 03-22-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 AM

It will be for me as sewing machine is on first floor and Iron is in the basement! Time for stair stepper exercises! (Tomorrow!) Seeing Olympus has fallen tonight after work.

Originally Posted by CarolynMT
    Now now, dont get panicked, it really is easy peasy when you put it together. Just go slow. Sew on the small accents, sort your stacks, and just do one braid at a time. Iron, then the next braid. Once you get past that first one, the rest of it is just repetition. I call this my ADHD pattern, sew for 2 seconds, get up and iron, sew for 2 seconds, up and iron......consider it exercise
    Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 AM

LOL thanks for the warning but I think it's to late.
    Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 AM

Dede, I would strongly recommend you bringing it up, it takes a whopping 1min to stitch 2 seams, then iron. I spend more time getting up/down than I do ironing and sewing and my ironing board is behind my chair...lol
    Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 AM

I ended up going out a bit with dd for lunch, but I do have all my pieces cut and am stitching my center now.