Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is the appea of Yellow Brick Road pattern? >
  • What is the appea of Yellow Brick Road pattern?

• What is the appea of Yellow Brick Road pattern?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:37 PM
    crt

Originally Posted by brenda21

Aren't all patterns some type of geometric shape(s) sewn together? Just because something is fast, doesn't mean it is done haphazardly. Or "thrown together" without pride. You are certainly entitled not to care for the quilt or the pattern, but do you need to make others feel bad for their efforts?
    Well said. I have seen some beautiful (including the ones I've seen posted here) Yellow Brick Road and Turning Twenty quilts. Sometimes, a pattern like that really shows off the fabric much more than a more intricate design does, too.
    Old 03-08-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by debbieoh
    here's where you can get the pattern for a FREE pdf file.

http://www.how-to-quilt.com/patterns/brick-road.pdf
    This one is different but similar in looks. I have cut out my fabrics for YBR I like the simplicity of the cutting, and patching. I'm still working on my daughters FG and since each patch is different with no duplication of fabric, it seems to take time for planning each piece and going through fabrics to find good coordination of fabrics. It doesn't go fast.
    Having cut YBR on Sat. and started preparing strips on Sunday I'm moving along with it quite quickly. It is satifying to have this progress so quickly and nice change of pace.

I also like that everything is figured out and if you use fqs it states how many for each of 6 sizes and how many of each to cut, and piece. The pattern can also be used to use up leftovers if one wants to.

Maybe road is in the title because the directions are like a road map to each size quilt

:-P :-P
    Old 03-08-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by gwanma
    Originally Posted by stigmot
    I am a fairly new quilter and was told that it would be a pretty easy one for beginners. I don't know if it will be my favorite but I think it turned out nice ( for me anyway hee hee)..
    I think that turned out really nice. I love the choice of colors.
    Me too it's a classic in those colours. :thumbup:
    Old 03-08-2011, 08:15 AM

Well phrased Brenda!
    Old 03-08-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by crt
    Originally Posted by brenda21

Aren't all patterns some type of geometric shape(s) sewn together? Just because something is fast, doesn't mean it is done haphazardly. Or "thrown together" without pride. You are certainly entitled not to care for the quilt or the pattern, but do you need to make others feel bad for their efforts?
    Well said. I have seen some beautiful (including the ones I've seen posted here) Yellow Brick Road and Turning Twenty quilts. Sometimes, a pattern like that really shows off the fabric much more than a more intricate design does, too.
    I second this!!!!
    Old 03-09-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by belmer
    I think the designer called it that because of the yellow and the blues she used in it. This has been a very popular pattern for beginners, because of the use of fat quarters,and the cutting meathods and piecing it together. This pattern looks fabulous no matter what colors you use. I have made many of these quilts for friends and family.
    I have helped my daughter make her first quilt, and am now finishing up making my first quilt. We both chose the Yellow Brick Road pattern as it was easy and we were able to use fat quarters. It was very enjoyable to make, so worth the money to buy. I am also a person that doesn't like to buy patterns as there are so many free ones to make, but I am glad that we put forth the money for this one. We felt like this was a pettern we could figure out on our own without getting into to much trouble and they have both turned out beautiful. I will show my quilt as soon as mine is finished. My daughters quilt is here:http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-85368-1.htm
    Old 03-10-2011, 08:54 AM

[/quote] I have helped my daughter make her first quilt, and am now finishing up making my first quilt. My daughters quilt is here:http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-85368-1.htm[/quote]

Oh, I love her color choices. Very updated and modern.
    To me, this simple quilt lends itself to so many color options,
    and using large scale, Amy Butler type fabrics like your
    daughter did, really make the quilt stand out. I think this
    is why this pattern is so popular and has stood the test
    of time - it is very versatile, depending on the fabrics you use.
    Have a Blessed Day!