Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is your favourite sewing machine and why? >
  • What is your favourite sewing machine and why?

• What is your favourite sewing machine and why?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:09 AM
    Power Poster

I have three machines. My favorite by far is my old 1938 singer. She is easy to work on and I don't need to send her out. I have made three quilts on her and she runs like a top. I only have forward and backward stitches but that is all I need most of the time. The stitches are perfect. They knew how to make things back then. Wish things were as easy and as good today.
    Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 AM

I have a Janome 8050 and a Brother SQ9000......love them both.
    Old 08-18-2011, 12:03 PM

maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I just love spending the day with my featherweights!
    Old 08-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    Really like my babylock quilter's choice but if I were to do it all over again, I would go for something with a much bigger harp space/throat. Mine is only about 7 inches.

My suggestion is to look at the harp space/throat space, find one that comes with an extension table, self threading needle, walking foot and darning foot, and possibly a stitch regulator and the ability to drop the feed dogs.
    I, too, loved my Babylock quilter's choice until I sewed on the Esante. It has a bigger motor and does embroidery. Babylock has great machines and worth the higher price. I've had my Esante over 3 years and had it serviced once for cleaning. My Quilter's Choice I had almost 2 years without any issues.
    Old 08-18-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
    Oh my word. How many people are on this board? Because that is how many different answers you will get. You need to narrow it down a bit. How much do you want to spend? What features do you want?

Personally I have a Pfaff. I have had Pfaffs for the last 30 years and absolutely love my machines. It has IDT which is a built in walking foot. But my new one is huge. It has a 10 inch throat and all the bells and whistles. It is very difficult to take to classes and retreats because it is so big and heavy and I am thinking of getting one of those small portables for that.
    I wanted to check out the Pfaff but the closest dealer is about a hour or so away (don't like to drive much anymore). I have a friend who has one and raves about it.
    Old 08-18-2011, 01:31 PM

Viking S. because it has a 9 inch arm space. I never have tension problems. I love it.
    Mary in TX
    Old 08-18-2011, 02:10 PM

I use a Bernina 1008. Also have an Elna, doesn't like chain piecing, 2 Kenmores, 2 antiques Singers, and Singer 410A. Almost forgot my FW. And a little tiny handcrank.
    Old 08-18-2011, 02:43 PM

I am a huge Janome fan, no if's and's or but's about it.
    Old 08-18-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
    Oh my word. How many people are on this board? Because that is how many different answers you will get. You need to narrow it down a bit. How much do you want to spend? What features do you want?

Personally I have a Pfaff. I have had Pfaffs for the last 30 years and absolutely love my machines. It has IDT which is a built in walking foot. But my new one is huge. It has a 10 inch throat and all the bells and whistles. It is very difficult to take to classes and retreats because it is so big and heavy and I am thinking of getting one of those small portables for that.
    I'm not really sure what I want. I guess I want to be able to quilt myself (not have to take it to someone) so large throat space and I want something that will go the distance. I want something that has a good straight line. I guess for less than $2000 if possible (I have a savings plan :)

I'm not sure my hand eye coordination is particularly good - so I guess I want an *easy* machine, something that will help me along a bit- a cop out I know.

:oops:
    Old 08-18-2011, 04:07 PM

My favorite is the Viking diamond and my Juki 98Q!