Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT? >
  • Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

• Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

Old 10-27-2011, 06:10 AM

It helped me to quit smoking and I enjoy it so much!
    Old 10-27-2011, 06:15 AM

I quilt, for the same reason men climb mountains, the fabric the creativity, for pleasure, it relaxes me, and because I can. Diane C
    Old 10-27-2011, 06:16 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

it saves my sanity !LOL
    When I've had a stressful day at work(and I have quite a few of them !!LOL)its so nice to be able to come home and relax with either a quilt or a sewing project (sewing was started out of necessity with 2 girls! and no monies).
    Old 10-27-2011, 06:19 AM

for the shear amazement of cutting up one fabric , sewing it to another and creating a beautiful new design. I have always been facinated by the secondary patterns that appear in quilting. And I must admit the love of creating something beautiful
    Old 10-27-2011, 06:21 AM

It started as a dare..sort of. Someone told me I couldn't do it and I was young and immature and had this "I'll show you" attitude. I didn't really like my only beginner class, but I got in with a couple quilters in a volunteer group and the rest, as they say, is history.

I'm so glad I kept at it after my first disaster, I mean class, was done. At the time I had 2 kids under 2 and my oldest is a special needs child. It was therapy for me. I was a full time SAH mom and my husband traveled for work. Then baby number 3 came before baby number 1 was 3 and I quilted to prevent insanity.

Fast forward to now? Why do I quilt now? Because I want to. I don't have to keep myself busy with something to maintain sanity. I have 3 growing boys and 2 of them are interested in quilts. They know making Christmas gifts is one of our traditions and they know how good it feels to make something with your own hands and give it to someone else. We make a list each year of the projects we should do together and I'm including them in the list of projects I make in January to be done by Christmas time so they can see how you can bless people all year long.
    Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 AM

My favorite "vacation" when I was young was visiting my granny's farm.They did not have many worldly posessions, but what they did have was food, shelter, and warmth. We spent quality time, picking vegetables, snapping beans, taking a bath in a round tub in the kitchen, using an out-house, wringer washing machine, hanging out clothes, well water, wood stoves, and granny cooked on her wood stove. It was the best time of my life. She would sew at the treadle, and we were never cold, from all the quilts she made. Yes they got inside plumbing, and life became a little simpler, but my love of the farm never went away. So you can say I quilt because of my granny.
    Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 AM

yes, yes, yes and yes!
    Old 10-27-2011, 06:30 AM

I quilt for the love of creating something from start to finish. It fulfills the artist in me. I love working with my hands and there is no better way to express my love for the recipient. A few years ago, I designed and made a quilt for my Father in Law out of fabric prints of his beloved college football team. It brought tears to his eyes when he received it. When he passed away, my MIL gave it to my husband so it is now in our home. It is special to my husband for several reasons and special to me as well!
    Old 10-27-2011, 06:33 AM

I love to sew and quilting is an art that I feel needs to be kept alive. We have such beautiful fabrics and ideas to work with and wonderful machines to aid us these days, it would be a real shame if quilting were allowed to pass.
    I like the creativity of this and other crafts.
    Old 10-27-2011, 06:40 AM

At my age and health problem COPD on O2 ,I can still quilt. either by hand or machine. So many of my family members are now saying when they see me , I dont need another quilt,lol Love it, relaxes me and keeps me busy.