Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • rolling vs folding chair for sewing >
  • rolling vs folding chair for sewing

• rolling vs folding chair for sewing

Old 03-08-2014, 06:47 PM

I have both. One of my machines has a narrow area where your legs go and to get close enough so there's no back strain, I use a folding chair. But not just any kind. I found one of the old wooden ones like you used to see in country Churches. I got a kitchen cushion set for it and it's very comfortable to sew using it. I do have a rolling chair for the other machine and it's wide enough that I can scoot it up under the cabinet so it doesn't take up a lot of room.
    Old 03-08-2014, 07:22 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltstringz
    Folding chair does sound nice, issue is that I don't think you will find one comfortable enough or with enough support to use. If you are only sewing for 10-15 min at a time that would be one thing but we all know you will be in that chair longer! Heck other than your bed it will probably be the most used piece of furniture you have
    I couldn't agree more! Buy the BEST chair you can get. I will admit that I have fibromyalgia, but I have
    developed some somewhat serious and costly ailments from sitting too much in a cheap chair at the kids.
    I got a wonderful heavy duty, well built "roller" and no new problems. So comfy!
    Old 03-08-2014, 07:58 PM

Love, love, love my rolling chair with lumbar support. I can adjust the height and tilt and my back is always comfortable. Yes, sometimes I have to give an extra push to move it out of the way but the trade off is worth it to me. We put a piece of pegboard over the carpet and I roll around freely.
    Old 03-08-2014, 08:48 PM
    Power Poster

I forgot to mention that my "fancy" hydraulic chair, with yes, lumbar support came from a thrift store for $18.00
    and dh didn't want me to buy "another thing".
    Well, guess who loves it now?
    Old 03-08-2014, 09:35 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

A chair with good back support is essential for a healthy back when you are working.
    Old 03-08-2014, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    ​I like a rolling chair so I can freely move closer to the machine or roll the chair back to get up. My sewing room has carpet so it would be a pain to push back a folding chair.

Same here. And I like to swivel from my sewing machine to my ironing "board" --which is simply a short IKEA unit with shelves that doubles as a nightstand.
    Old 03-09-2014, 04:04 AM

I bought a rolling chair at a warehouse sale. It swivels and moves out of the way easily. I love my chair. It adjusts to any heights. It has no arms to get in the way. Its a side chair from an office confront room.
    Old 03-09-2014, 05:51 AM

Rolling chair! Up and down is way easier!!
    Old 03-09-2014, 06:14 AM

May I suggest you try your local craigslist or perhaps a warehouse sale with office furniture? Try out all you can find in your price range. Best chairs to sew have NO ARMS for ease of movement, height adjustment and great back support. I would not be without my clearance room office chair from Staples ($29, originally $99). Also you might find one at yard/estate sales. Best of luck in your hunt!!
    Old 03-09-2014, 07:05 AM

I have two sewing machine stations in my craft room: one station has a rolling armless chair and the other has a dining room straight back upholstered chair that is no longer used in the dining room. After using both chairs, I have now have the dining chair up against the wall with the plastic bin holding the pieces of fabric from my latest project.
    I move my rolling chair back and forth instead. Only wished I had hardwood floors in this former bedroom.

Rolling chair pros: adjustable height when working at different sewing tables, back support, lightweight,
    The con's : rolling on carpet.

Dining Chair pros: looks nice with sewing room furniture and armoire
    The con's: the seat height is the seat height, no adjusting, difficult to turn to grab a tool, need to pick up to move it, and no true back support

bottom line: go with the rolling chair.