Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • *crry*  Help please!? >
  • *crry* Help please!?

• *crry* Help please!?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 PM

My 14 yr old daughter is famous for washing things and having them fade and run. Her latest trick was to take ALL her new clothes at Christmas and wash them all together. Blue jeans, light colored shirts and hoodies, you name it. I sprayed the really bad spots with Shout, used a scoop of Oxyclean in the wash, and used a Color Catcher. It took 2 washings but everything was fine. Hope this helps.
    Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 PM

If you don't have the color catchers, you can use a white washcloth in the load when you rewash it. Is supposed to do the same thing.
    Old 01-23-2011, 12:48 PM

I always put color catcher in with my quilts. It's available in grocery stors in the laundry section.
    Old 01-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by deema
    Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Throw it back in the washing machine with a color catcher, rewash and than dry. If you dried it on low heat it may not have set. But do that before anything else. Once you start with other things you are setting it harder. This advice comes from a fabric expert I know. (Not me, she is my go to person!)

Edit: The Bleedout might be the trick also but I would try just a color catcher first, just my thought. Good luck and let us know what worked.
    It is still damp now, I didn't try to dry it again because I didn't want it to set - I have it hanging over the half wall upstairs so no more of the coloured parts touch the white...lol. I don't have colour catcher's though, and have never seen them in my area, I've looked everywhere for them... :( I think I might have seen someone on this board say that they (or a friend?) accidentally used a dry baby wipe thinking it was a Colour Catcher and it worked...?
    The color catchers are by the fabric sheets (bounce) at my store. Maybe you could look there?
    Old 01-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Throw it back in the washing machine with a color catcher, rewash and than dry. If you dried it on low heat it may not have set. But do that before anything else. Once you start with other things you are setting it harder. This advice comes from a fabric expert I know. (Not me, she is my go to person!)

Edit: The Bleedout might be the trick also but I would try just a color catcher first, just my thought. Good luck and let us know what worked.
    yes I've done this on fabric that hasn't been used yet. It was of no use to me that way so I did as recommended here. It worked! It was fast and I checked before I threw it into the drier. No dryer until it is fix. It will set the bleed.
    Old 01-23-2011, 05:46 PM

i wouldn't use anything that roughs it up, like toothpaste. i'd go right to bleach on a q-tip, as said. if you have time, wash again with retayne. if you can't find it, use a color catcher. for new quilts, retayne is always a good idea before an accident occurs. this is why many quilters wash all fabric first. i wash first and always with retayne. why take a chance?
    Old 01-23-2011, 07:01 PM

If no success with the whitening - applique flowers over the top?
    Old 01-23-2011, 07:42 PM

Mix a little clorox with water and then use a Q Tip. Good luck.
    Old 01-23-2011, 07:45 PM

Beautiful quilt. She will love it. I hope you get the color out of the white. If you don't, applique' is in order.
    Old 01-23-2011, 09:28 PM

If you do bleach on a q-tip have vinegar ready, it nutralizes bleach and prevents it eating away at the fabric. Bleach and vinegar are at the opposite ends of acidity. That way when you rewash it, you do not have any bleach residue to fade the colors.