Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • 127K intermittent dirty stitches >
  • 127K intermittent dirty stitches

• 127K intermittent dirty stitches

Old 12-06-2013, 09:48 PM

Exclamation 127K intermittent dirty stitches

It's a nice lazy sunny afternoon here....got all my chores done so I could sit down and run up a few seams using my grandmothers old 127k treadle: a maiden voyage after replacing her tension mechanism and belt and giving her a good clean over. Blast and bother but every couple of inches I'm getting a small run of dirty black stitches. I'm assuming it's the bobbin thread cause it's showing on the top side of my work as I sew. I have cleaned my shuttle, cleaned out the shuttle cradle and where the thread comes up through the needle plate, I have changed my shuttle, changed my bobbin and thread and am still getting these wretched black/dirty stitches. Can anyone advise where I should be looking further? Note, I haven't used any water to clean these areas, just a cotton tip and a little shell lite.
    Old 12-06-2013, 10:02 PM
    Power Poster

Have you checked the wick that oils the shuttle? Use a q-tip to soak up a bit of the oil in it and see if the oil is old and black. It might be getting into the shuttle and onto the thread? Use a Q-tip with a little clean machine oil on it and clean the inside of the shuttle also, there might be some dirt inside. If you have oiled the top shaft, make sure to dry it with a soft rag also in case dirty oil is dropping down.
    Old 12-06-2013, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes
    It's a nice lazy sunny afternoon here....got all my chores done so I could sit down and run up a few seams using my grandmothers old 127k treadle: a maiden voyage after replacing her tension mechanism and belt and giving her a good clean over. Blast and bother but every couple of inches I'm getting a small run of dirty black stitches. I'm assuming it's the bobbin thread cause it's showing on the top side of my work as I sew. I have cleaned my shuttle, cleaned out the shuttle cradle and where the thread comes up through the needle plate, I have changed my shuttle, changed my bobbin and thread and am still getting these wretched black/dirty stitches. Can anyone advise where I should be looking further? Note, I haven't used any water to clean these areas, just a cotton tip and a little shell lite.
    If it's only on the top it's your top thread, Ruby. Check where it starts getting dirty. Most likely the tensioner. This can be cleaned easily without disassembly (see Muv's videos).

Yes it's a perfect day!
    Old 12-06-2013, 10:28 PM

Doh, Big Homer Simpson moment hit me just as I was staring at the machine...just realised I had myself all muddled with the top and bottom stitches...sigh.....blushing madly but still enjoying the sunshine, and scurrying off to clean my tensioner. Oh well, at least I know her "under bits" are good and clean. Thanks Mike and Tartan
    Old 12-06-2013, 10:42 PM

......and here's a weird thing; well maybe to me 'cause I'm a bit dim.........it only happens when I'm stitching at speed using the treadle. When I sew slowly by hand turning the wheel, it doesn't happen.
    Old 12-07-2013, 02:58 AM

......and here's a weird thing; well maybe to me 'cause I'm a bit dim.........it only happens when I'm stitching at speed using the treadle. When I sew slowly by hand turning the wheel, it doesn't happen.
    Your stitches are probably better when you're treadling. Hmm... funny thing that you only get it at speed, but I still think it's the tensioner
    Old 12-07-2013, 03:31 AM
    Power Poster

Take the tension apart and re-assemble. Don't be afraid. Those aren't very hard to do and the results are WELL worth the effort. Here is a great manual with LOTS of great information: http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/
    Old 12-07-2013, 04:17 AM

Thanks Miriam; I replaced the tension assembly when I took possession of the treadle about 12 months ago and this is the first time I have sewn on it since cleaning it up. The treadle has been stored down in its cabinet all this time. I have run some thick thread backwards and forwards through the discs and it has come out clean. I am perplexed why it only happens when I'm treadling rather than when I'm hand turning. I guess it will turn out to be something obvious so if anyone wants to jump on a plane and pop over tomorrow to straighten me out (and have a laugh at me!) come on over!!!!
    Old 12-07-2013, 04:55 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks Miriam; I replaced the tension assembly when I took possession of the treadle about 12 months ago and this is the first time I have sewn on it since cleaning it up. The treadle has been stored down in its cabinet all this time. I have run some thick thread backwards and forwards through the discs and it has come out clean. I am perplexed why it only happens when I'm treadling rather than when I'm hand turning. I guess it will turn out to be something obvious so if anyone wants to jump on a plane and pop over tomorrow to straighten me out (and have a laugh at me!) come on over!!!!
    maybe some super member can reach through the computer screen and fix it for you... have you tried changing the threads? oil on the needle bar shaft? Some times it is like a giant puzzle with the last piece missing.
    Old 12-07-2013, 05:24 AM

Maybe switch to black thread?

CD in Oklahoma