Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New Home Treadle Update, thanks to OurWorkbench and Mickey2! >

New Home Treadle Update, thanks to OurWorkbench and Mickey2!

New Home Treadle Update, thanks to OurWorkbench and Mickey2!

Old 08-05-2020, 08:38 AM

Default New Home Treadle Update, thanks to OurWorkbench and Mickey2!

I want to thank Janey and Mickey for help on this one, which I first posted about here:

Should I buy this machine?

I was able to buy needles and bobbins with their input, and Janey sent me the manual as well. The machine is ready to pass on to one of my sisters who apparently treadled quite a bit 40 years ago or so, I am hoping she'll give it spin.

It turns out I already had the motorized cousin to this machine, a Free Westinghouse Type J, so now I have a few extra needles and bobbins for it as well.
Attached Thumbnails img_20200805_110228192.jpg   img_0209.edit1%7E2.jpg  
Old 08-05-2020, 04:18 PM

how handy that both machines take the same bits. Lucky youl And lucky sister.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:18 PM

Aww, shucks. You are welcome. Glad I cold be of some help. That is a nice looking treadle.

My brother & I were able to refurbish the treadle for our sister. It was the one she learned to sew on. She was very pleased with it. I had tried to treadle years ago, but thought it wasn't for me. After hearing my sister say how much she enjoyed treadling, on occasion, I thought I would try again. It really is neat. It does take some practice.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:47 PM

Another beautiful machine from times gone by and now looking good for today.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:13 PM

Good to hear the machine fixed up well. My experience with the old straight stitchers are good, they are in a league of their own and some of them are exeptionally smooth and nice running.

Great job Joe, and best of luck to your sister too :- )
Old 08-07-2020, 05:50 AM

Good looking machine, quite like that cabinet also
Old 08-22-2020, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Aww, shucks. You are welcome. Glad I cold be of some help. That is a nice looking treadle.

My brother & I were able to refurbish the treadle for our sister. It was the one she learned to sew on. She was very pleased with it. I had tried to treadle years ago, but thought it wasn't for me. After hearing my sister say how much she enjoyed treadling, on occasion, I thought I would try again. It really is neat. It does take some practice.

Janey, I was just gifted a New Royal A treadle head with Illinois Sewing Machine Company on the top of the arm. It needs love and oil, and I need some kind of manual since I’m not finding anything on it. Could I trouble you for a copy of the manual?
Old 08-23-2020, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Reginaromsey View Post
... a New Royal A treadle head with Illinois Sewing Machine Company on the top of the arm. It needs love and oil, and I need some kind of manual since I’m not finding anything on it. ...
I there may be some associations between New Home and possibly New Royal, but unsure how. I do that when the Needlebar picture library was online, most of the New Royal As had a leaf tension rather than the face/nose tension, like Joe's. Also the New Royals that I have seen are vibrating long shuttles rather than the round bobbin, like OP Joe's.

I notice you haven't posted a picture since the site was redone earlier this year. Perhaps if you start a new thread with a picture, someone would be able to help with more info.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "reply" button works to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.