Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Walking foot available for 1924 Singer? >

Walking foot available for 1924 Singer?

Walking foot available for 1924 Singer?

Old 12-30-2011, 03:09 PM

Default Walking foot available for 1924 Singer?

Hi,
I recently pulled my grandmother's old sewing machine, a treadle converted to electric, out of the garage, where it's been, unfortunately, for years and years. I have a lot of cleaning up to do on her, and after that she'll probably need to go to the local sew-vac store; I can't even remember if she still sewed last time I had her down.

What I've been wondering is whether you can get a walking foot for this kind of machine? I think she's a model 66, although so far I've only looked up her year on the Singer site using the serial number. I have a box of old attachments for her (hemmers, rufflers), including a little booklet with instructions on how to put the attachments on and how to sew with them; neither the booklet nor the attachments box has a name or date on them, but they're pretty old!

I do want to try her for quilting, as she has a 9" harp, compared to my Kenmore, which has barely 6", and since all she does is straight stitch (main reason I bought the Kenmore; I wanted a free-arm, buttonhole, zigzag... but didn't have much money to spend), I think I can trust her to keep her needle steady. I get so much "wiggle" from the Kenmore, plus the zigzag throatplate, that I can't sew a straight line to save myself!

Once I bought the Kenmore, my husband kept bugging me to try to sell her (because he couldn't understand why I'd "need" two machines), but I've dragged my feet for years, and after being on this board for the last year, I'm sure glad I kept her!

I've been checking out sites recommended for cleaning instructions, and I know I have a big job ahead, but I think it will be worth it. Maybe I'll post a photo once I get the initial grit off her. Oh, and the power cord was always a big problem, too. I think last time I needed to replace it, we used something from another appliance and attached the part that goes into the machine onto it. It's been a while though; I might not be remembering correctly. Anyway, I'd love to get an official replacement cord.

Thanks for any and all advice from the many wonderful members of this board!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:55 PM

What kind of clamp does it have? I doubt if there is a walking foot available for the back clamp like the early 66s were, but the later ones were side clamp and some back clamps have been converted to side clamp. A generic short shank walking foot may fit a side clamp. My 1918 has a back clamp, but I don't use a walking foot to quilt so it doesn't matter if I can't have one.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:40 AM

I was given a box of old Singer parts, including two walking feet - one still in its original box with instructions. It says it's a style C-470. If your feet are low shank and attach from the back, this may work for you. I live in Bremerton. I see you are in Bellevue. We are almost neighbors! If this works, I can offer it to you.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:02 PM

Hi and thanks for your replies! After further investigating into my serial number, I found that my machine is actually a model 127, not a 66 as I'd thought.

irishrose: the foot clamps from the side and that is where the little screw attaches as well. So maybe the generic side clamp walking foot will fit.

barbgooch: Not sure what is a low or high shank, but I measured the distance from the top of the foot that's on it to the base, and it measures about 3/4 to 7/8 of an inch. (This is the "regular" foot that I always used, with the right side measuring about 1/4 inch and shorter in length than the left side.) Is that low shank? But the attachment is from the side, so I guess those wouldn't work after all. Thanks so much for offering, though!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:48 PM

Your Singer is probably a 'low shank' This is the FMQ foot that I use on my Singers.
http://www.keepsakequiltingcatalog.c...ay_Update_2011
Top left side of page 115.
I'm still looking for a walking foot for ya.
I found it on page 113.

I'm in no way affiliated with Keepsake Quilting. Just a happy customer.

Last edited by dublb; 12-31-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

Use Muv's videos for the cleaning and servicing unless you are planning to paint the machine - here's a link for you: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html - be sure to grab a nice cup of tea to enjoy while you watch all these fantastic videos
Old 01-01-2012, 11:03 AM

Thank you again for your help.

dublb: I appreciate the links to the feet and you taking time to locate them for me. I'm starting to get excited; just have to remind myself that I have a long way to go, as I mentioned above, I can't even remember if the machine was working last time I tried it. I do know that the handwheel turns freely and needle goes up and down just fine at least.

miriam: Thanks to you for the links to cleaning up the machine; I have put those in my favorites. No, I have no intentions of painting it. Some of the decals are nearly worn off, especially on the bed of the machine, but that just means it was truly used and loved.

Happy New year!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
Your Singer is probably a 'low shank' This is the FMQ foot that I use on my Singers.
Top left side of page 115.
I'm still looking for a walking foot for ya.
I found it on page 113.

I'm in no way affiliated with Keepsake Quilting. Just a happy customer.
RE:WALKING FOOT INFO: Try "april1930s.com" for vintage attachments & info on designating which shank, etc.
Some attachments are reproductions specifically for 221, 222, & other vintages.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

Have you ever seen a boy scout with a lot of merit badges??? It's what I think of when I look at those really beat up machines.