$300 for a 222K

Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
What are your favourite things about Eliza? (beautiful name, BTW - I just called my Necchi "Barbarella" because she was as dirty as a barbecue!)
I love the sound of her. It's a little different than the 221s. She looks like a little mini (adorable) industrial to me. The fact that I can "remove" her decals (they're all on the removable portion of the bed) and not worry as much about her. The feed dogs dropping is not that big a deal for me. I spent a lot of time with her just to get her running, as you could see from that thread, so we bonded. She's also special because she shares a birthday with my aunt, hence how she got her name. My aunt's name is Liz, or Elizabeth...
Old 06-03-2013, 03:57 AM

Hi everyone

I've decided to buy the machine... an early birthday present for myself! The more I have read about and seen these machines online, the more intrigued I've become. I'm really looking forward to owning one and I know I will love it.

Picking up next Wednesday!!

Please share with me some of your best featherweight acquisition stories or pics of things you've made to help me pass the time
Old 06-03-2013, 07:47 AM

Yeah!!! Congrats! You've already seen my acquisition story, the link I posted back on page 2. I think you'll love it (her?) Happy early birthday!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:30 PM

Congrats... Please post again after you pick her up!! We want to see more pictures!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:48 AM

Glad you are getting it- I'd been Hoping you would! I just got a good deal on a white 221- $150 with case, picking it up tomorrow am. Some paint loss on the front edge, but the case looks good. They go for $350 plus here (upstate NY). And I'm getting a 3 drawer Howe treadle base this weekend- no machine, but I'm saving it from being made into a table! Don't know if it has the bobbin winder.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
Glad you are getting it- I'd been Hoping you would
Thanks! I really didn't think I would, so it's turned out to be a lovely surprise!
I just got a good deal on a white 221- $150 with case, picking it up tomorrow am. Some paint loss on the front edge, but the case looks good. They go for $350 plus here (upstate NY). And I'm getting a 3 drawer Howe treadle base this weekend- no machine, but I'm saving it from being made into a table! Don't know if it has the bobbin winder.
That sounds exciting! I love the look of the white FW's. What will you do about the paint loss (if anything)? My 27-2 has that along the front edge as well and I guess I've wondered if it's a bit rough for sewing, although I'm not sure how to easily smooth it out without stripping and repainting.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:36 PM

I just accept the paint loss on the front edge- it's not rough and is part of the machine's history. I'd make a mess if I tried to touch it up. You could start a new post requesting advice on smoothing out rough paint and I'm sure someone will tell you how to sand or touch it up. I got the white FW today and it sews beautifully, but needs some oiling. No attachments, but they are fairly easy to come by, or I can use a snap on foot adapter and feet I already have.
Looking forward to seeing your new machine!
Old 06-13-2013, 03:24 PM

Hi all - I have brought her home. Uploaded pics in the Sewing Machine Shop http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post6119272 .... I am smitten, she is so much more lovely than I ever imagined!!
Old 06-13-2013, 03:37 PM

Thank you for the pictures. Your machine is gorgeous! I hope you will have many years of happiness with your rare beauty. How is the featherweight market in your part of the world? Are they difficult to find? Do you have passionate collectors as in the US? I was never under their spell until this year. I'd collected a few and no problem selling them when I needed funds. But- I now have 3 white ones and 1 black one, and share them with friends when we get together. They do make a beautiful stitch!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
Thank you for the pictures. Your machine is gorgeous! I hope you will have many years of happiness with your rare beauty.
Thanks Monroe! I do too
How is the featherweight market in your part of the world? Are they difficult to find? Do you have passionate collectors as in the US?
I've just started following them in Australia to be honest, but I'd have to say that the culture is quite different (generally and around sewing machines too). For example, a 222K auction just ended on eBay for a machine in NSW - it sold for $256 with 20 bids. A dusty one with no reserve, similar to what I bought.

I bought this particular machine from a woman who was selling it on behalf of a friend of her mother (elderly, just gone into a home). She only knew that the machine was worth something from looking online; but despite her research, I think she still had a limited appreciation of the potential value of the machine ... It was still "just a sewing machine", if you know what I mean. I think most people would in Australia would be genuinely shocked by the idea of an old sewing machine fetching $900 - $1200. Here they seem to sell between $400-600 (if presented nicely as a collectors item), or you could get a dusty old one from someone who has no idea what it's worth if you're prepared to wait It's also worth noting that the lady I bought this 222K from had listed it on eBay TWICE without selling it at around the $300 mark... so that has to mean something. But there are also nutters trying to sell old Singer treadles for $500, same as anywhere else. It would be very interesting to know where they all end up, and what kind of money eventually changed hands.

But I was discussing the cultural differences with ManicMike the other day ... I think Aussies are slower to be fanatical about anything as it's much more culturally acceptable to be 'low key' or 'easy going' about things here, but there are obviously still collectors out there. There are also just less people here in general, so it's hard to say whether that accounts for the difference in demand for things. There are certainly a lot of old machines going to the tip or left to corrode/rot because nobody cares or would even think that anybody else might care (it seems that Mike and I are singlehandedly trying to rescue them all!! - LOL).

I was never under their spell until this year. I'd collected a few and no problem selling them when I needed funds. But- I now have 3 white ones and 1 black one, and share them with friends when we get together. They do make a beautiful stitch!
It's nice to know I could re-sell my 222K in the future with a properly worded ad - perhaps even overseas - to another collector or appreciative sewer. But for now, it's hard to imagine ever parting with her!