15-91 running intermittently

Old 04-09-2019, 03:14 PM

If you find your motor has grease pots/wicks, don't just fill up the grease. Clean out any old grease first.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:20 PM

Thanks everyone - I have a feeling it may be the pedal. Unfortunately I don't have another one yet....I'll go over the machine with some more oil to try and ensure it's not just the fact that it's still gummed up...I'm not getting any kind of hum out of the motor indicating it's trying to overcome resistance in the machine but you never know. When it has fired up it didn't seem to be labouring so the bad/broken connection could be the culprit..
I'll likely order another pedal - good to have a spare anyway - in the meantime I'll keep messing around. I'll keep you posted of my progress.
Thanks again for your input everyone!
Kelly
Old 04-09-2019, 03:49 PM

I took the plug apart (the three prong one that attaches to the machine. Loose connection there apparently. Tightened things back up and plugged it back it...and away she went!
Thanks Folks...
Now I can play around with it - apparently there's a tension issue/keeps breaking thread. On to the next challenge!
Kelly

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-09-2019 at 03:56 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-09-2019, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by KellyDT View Post
I took the plug apart (the three prong one that attaches to the machine. Loose connection there apparently. Tightened things back up and plugged it back it...and away she went!
Thanks Folks...
Now I can play around with it - apparently there's a tension issue/keeps breaking thread. On to the next challenge!
Kelly
Yippee!

It always brings a smile to my face, when someone works things out. I like to know how.

Oh, I gather your 99k has a motor block rather than a 3-pin plug?

Thank you for posting.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:31 AM

Janey, you must have been getting sleepy. Well, it was nearly 10 by Kansas time

"
three prong one " Yes

Glad Kelly DT found and fixed the problem.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:26 PM

Yeah it brought a smile to my face too! This 15-91 has what I think is a standard 3 pin plug ? It has the cord going to the pedal and then the one to the wall.
My 99K has a different arrangement where the pedal and the power cord seem to be on two different cords if that makes sense. THat little machine runs like a dream (knock on wood). I picked it up from a Thrift store a couple of weeks ago in a nice cabinet (pretty sure it's original - seen photos of ones exactly the same with lots of SInger machines)) for $35 CDN. Just happened to walk in and it was there. I had a guy following me around as I carried it to the cash and then out to my truck - I kept looking over my shoulder and there he was like impending doom... thought I was going to get rolled for my sewing machine! He just stood there on the curb as I drove away. kinda weird.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:57 PM

Right, it is a 'standard' Three-Pin Terminal Plug, or at least that is what they call it in the adjuster's manual. I did look it up.at sew-classic and one page it was called 3-prong, but on another 3-pin. Several Singer machines have that type of plug and terminal.

So the 99k has two plugs (one from the motor and one from the foot controller) that go into what looks similar to an electric outlet near the hand hand wheel or inside the cabinet? That is called a motor block.

That is super that the 99k came in a cabinet and at a good price. Since it is what is considered a 3/4 machine there weren't many cabinets for them, like for the full size machines. I think I have only seen one in real life and they wanted more than I was willing to pay.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:29 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]611449[/ATTACH]

Most motor blocks aren't labeled so nicely. Some not at all. I have a 28 3/4 VS machine that came in a cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails leonf-u169597-albums19922-590161.jpg  
Old 04-11-2019, 06:52 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]611451[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]611452[/ATTACH] We put a handcrank on it and it goes traveling.
Attached Thumbnails hc-apple-28-99-2-users-b.jpg   blackslide-hc-b.jpg