Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 15-91 running intermittently

15-91 running intermittently

Hi everyone - new to the forum and vintage sewing machines...I have 3 vintage machines; a 1926 28K of my Grandmothers, a 1954 99K from a thrift store; both of which run and a 15-91.
    I picked up the 15-91 yesterday - I tested it when I was looking it over it and it ran. I brought it home and cleaned it all up, oiled it etc. Then I plugged it in and pushed the foot pedal - nothing...I unplugged it and plugged it into another outlet and it ran - thought it was the outlet...then I tried it again a little while later and it wouldn't run...I pulled the brushes out of the motor - they seemed clean, no build up on the springs. I wiped the bit of dust off each of the brushes and reinstalled them. Still no luck...
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks so much for any assistance!
    Kelly
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-11-2019 at 02:30 AM.

I recently had to replace my foot peddle because of this problem. It was a new electronic one that I purchased a few years ago. The machine ran fine after I installed the original peddle. Check the wiring for any loose connections or breaks. If the wiring is ok, the foot may need some adjustments. Look up Andy Tube on youtube. He has lots of instructional videos on repairing old sewing machines. Warning he loves to talk a lot!!!
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Thanks - I'll have a look for Andy Tube!
    I took the pedal apart also (should've mentined that) and it looked a bit grungy - however the wires seemed okay. I cleaned up the contact points and reattached everything. Also - the other thing I should've probably said was that there is power getting through the cord to the light.. So it seems the cord is okay...but maybe the pedal could be the issue.
    Thanks again!
    Kelly

here is a palce wehre WD-40 could be used one a VSM. You might try a little spray on teh contacts where the cord connects to tje ,achine. let it dry, then try.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

Blog Entries
    Have you put grease up into the grease places you have to unscrew and squeeze grease up into them?

Thanks Barny - not sure where the grease places are...I'll see if they are mentioned in the manual. Thanks again!

WD-40 - okay I'll give that a whirl on the contacts too. Thanks Leonf!

You could have a break in the wires, perhaps in the cord for the pedal...where it connects to the terminal. The insulation could still look good.

If you find the grease things, fill them with vaseline. I think they are usually called "grease pots", but I'm not sure what the actual name is. They are kind under and behind the balance/hand wheel. There are 2 if them. They face down toward the bed and are kind of hard to get to. They just unscrew. Since they face down, you need some kind of tool to put the vaseline in them. I use an old hypodermic needle without the needle. (it's still messy.)

bkay

Sometimes you need to have the hand wheel off and check the gear behind there; it can be sluggish with dried up grease. Sometimes it can be anywhere on the machine, it once took me four days of oiling and test sewing to get a machine to run smoothly again.

If there isn't the slightest hum of motor or movement I would go through the wiring from end to end. Pedals can usually be sorted out, but if you have a second wroking pedal you could always try it.
    Last edited by Mickey2; 04-09-2019 at 08:50 AM.

If you find your motor has grease pots/wicks, don't just fill up the grease. Clean out any old grease first.

Thanks everyone - I have a feeling it may be the pedal. Unfortunately I don't have another one yet....I'll go over the machine with some more oil to try and ensure it's not just the fact that it's still gummed up...I'm not getting any kind of hum out of the motor indicating it's trying to overcome resistance in the machine but you never know. When it has fired up it didn't seem to be labouring so the bad/broken connection could be the culprit..
    I'll likely order another pedal - good to have a spare anyway - in the meantime I'll keep messing around. I'll keep you posted of my progress.
    Thanks again for your input everyone!
    Kelly

I took the plug apart (the three prong one that attaches to the machine. Loose connection there apparently. Tightened things back up and plugged it back it...and away she went!
    Thanks Folks...
    Now I can play around with it - apparently there's a tension issue/keeps breaking thread. On to the next challenge!
    Kelly
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-09-2019 at 03:56 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Quote Originally Posted by KellyDT View Post
    I took the plug apart (the three prong one that attaches to the machine. Loose connection there apparently. Tightened things back up and plugged it back it...and away she went!
    Thanks Folks...
    Now I can play around with it - apparently there's a tension issue/keeps breaking thread. On to the next challenge!
    Kelly
    Yippee!

It always brings a smile to my face, when someone works things out. I like to know how.

Oh, I gather your 99k has a motor block rather than a 3-pin plug?

Thank you for posting.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

Janey, you must have been getting sleepy. Well, it was nearly 10 by Kansas time

"
    three prong one " Yes

Glad Kelly DT found and fixed the problem.

Yeah it brought a smile to my face too! This 15-91 has what I think is a standard 3 pin plug ? It has the cord going to the pedal and then the one to the wall.
    My 99K has a different arrangement where the pedal and the power cord seem to be on two different cords if that makes sense. THat little machine runs like a dream (knock on wood). I picked it up from a Thrift store a couple of weeks ago in a nice cabinet (pretty sure it's original - seen photos of ones exactly the same with lots of SInger machines)) for $35 CDN. Just happened to walk in and it was there. I had a guy following me around as I carried it to the cash and then out to my truck - I kept looking over my shoulder and there he was like impending doom... thought I was going to get rolled for my sewing machine! He just stood there on the curb as I drove away. kinda weird.

Right, it is a 'standard' Three-Pin Terminal Plug, or at least that is what they call it in the adjuster's manual. I did look it up.at sew-classic and one page it was called 3-prong, but on another 3-pin. Several Singer machines have that type of plug and terminal.

So the 99k has two plugs (one from the motor and one from the foot controller) that go into what looks similar to an electric outlet near the hand hand wheel or inside the cabinet? That is called a motor block.

That is super that the 99k came in a cabinet and at a good price. Since it is what is considered a 3/4 machine there weren't many cabinets for them, like for the full size machines. I think I have only seen one in real life and they wanted more than I was willing to pay.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

Name:  leonf-u169597-albums19922-590161.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  402.2 KB

Most motor blocks aren't labeled so nicely. Some not at all. I have a 28 3/4 VS machine that came in a cabinet.

Name:  HC apple 28 99 2 users b.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  739.0 KB

Name:  blackslide HC b.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  427.5 KB We put a handcrank on it and it goes traveling.