Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
15-91 zig zag attachment Where? >

15-91 zig zag attachment Where?

15-91 zig zag attachment Where?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:46 PM

Default 15-91 zig zag attachment Where?

I am hoping to find zig zag foot attachment for my 15-91. I hope you experts out there could send me in the right direction. Thank you very much.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:56 PM

eBay is probably the easiest place to find one. I just sold one there a couple of weeks ago.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:06 PM

Mark, thank you for your response. Didn't even think to look on e-bay and yes I do see a couple on there for sell. Has anyone used the zig zag attachment? what advice could you give me from your experience with using it. Thank you
Old 07-31-2013, 05:15 PM

The zig zag attachment works much like the Singer buttonholer if you have used those before. The both need a cam (looks like a little hat with a red top) that drops in the top of the zig zagger. Different cams make different patterns (not just zig zag) I have eight cams for mine but there may be more. Once the cam is inserted, close the lid and attach the unit to your machine (remove the presser foot first) placing the little fork over your machine's needle bar and lining up the screw to clamp it on. The zig zagger should come with its own manual. If not, you can probably find one to download on line. I found mine at an OSMG"s shop who has been in business for more than 60 years and refuses to retire. I paid the grand sum of $5 with extra cams.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
The zig zagger should come with its own manual. If not, you can probably find one to download on line.
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ent-manual.pdf <-- Here, for example
Old 07-31-2013, 05:46 PM

Here is a video, that was posted in a different thread, that shows the zig zag attachment in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgHQW38MWYE
Old 07-31-2013, 06:54 PM

For your machine, the more "age appropriate" would be the one with cams. They are pretty fun too. There are three sets of additional cams too - and that is where things can get spendy.

I've found a few at Antique/junk malls and they are on Ebay all the time. Search completed auctions to get a feel for what they sell for. As normal, some sellers think theirs are lined with Gold.

The very early ones are all metal and look a bit like the ruffler, then came the ones that have are small and have a black cover, then the larger ones that take the cams in the middle. Then Singer figured out how to make the needle move side to side.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:33 PM

Thank you for everyone's response. I will look on ebay again for the one that uses cams.Thank you Macybaby for explaining what each one looks like this will be most helpful. mimack thank you for sending link to youtube.
Manicmike I just might need this link for a manual thank you.Thank you Shelbie for explaining the cams to me this was very helpful because I have never worked with cams before and I do have the buttonholer and has the cams with it.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:30 PM

Pictures to go with. The last three look similar but are all slightly different (even though one is broke).

Watch for this - the middle one has the part that holds the screw broken off. I've seen them like this several times now - I bought this one at a small junk shop, didn't realize it was broke, but it came with an extra cam set so I still got it for a good deal. I don't think it is required other than to keep you from losing the mounting screw.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:15 PM

I have a very early one but I am missing two screws necessary to mount the device to the machine. It looks similar to the first one in Macybaby's picture, but the body of it runs side to side instead of front to back. Here is a picture and some scans from the manual (scans are from the Smithsonian Library).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]427734[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]427731[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]427732[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer_zigzagger_3.jpg   singer_zigzagger_8.jpg   early-zigzag-attachment.jpg