1936 Treadle Singer

Old 09-25-2012, 05:39 PM

Default 1936 Treadle Singer

Woo Hoo!!! My sister sent me my mother's 1936 Singer Treadle sewing machine. She is a bit rough, needs a lot of cleaning and polishing, but I am so happy to see her again. The metal Singer base is in very good condition, and the wooden cabinet is plain and will need to be redone. That will be my husband's part of the job. He loves taking these old beauties apart and putting them back together. I've looked at the info on the board about cleaning up the vintage machines and will get all my supplies together on my next day off. Can you tell how excited I am? I feel like a kid at Christmas. There were no attachments with it when it arrived and the key has been lost in transit. I called my sis to let her know it had arrived in good order and asked about the box of attachments. She is going to look for them, but they may have been given away. I can always get more if that is the case. I don't think she knows how precious this is to me and I wish I could do something for her to show it. As soon as I get Miss Singer cleaned up I will post a picture.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 PM

Congratulations, I wish that I could have been in your shoes and received the machine on which I learned to sew. But, I have adopted several others of the same vintage (and older) and love them as I would have the original. It is so exciting to get something like you have just received and in return, you could make her a quilt or a wall hanging of a similar machine with one of your Mother's favorite sayings embroidered at the bottom or even your words saying "thank you".
Old 09-27-2012, 03:39 AM

How lucky you are, and its at a home where it will be taken care of...can't wait to see pictures of before and after, I hope.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:38 AM

How lovely for you! Yes, please post pictures.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 AM

I have my Mother's tread machine that I learned to sew, but it is real rough! Been in the basement in Michigan for 20 years or more. In the 60's my Dad removed the sewing machine and re-purposed the base to hold his lathe. So the top is cut (badly) with a hole so that the sewing machine will go there, but with this raggedly hole on the left end. It is in my garage and I can't decide whether to replace the top piece, or just what. Would appreciate input!