1937 Singer 99

Old 12-04-2019, 11:30 AM

"Don't lift by the handle" is an oft repeated phrase. Sometimes the nuts that hold it on are about ready to drop. Rarely but sometimes the wood is actually weak enough to let go. Key slots can be just a slit, a triangle or a square.

But as Janey said, a little screwdriver can usually get it open. I also use my awl blade on my Swiss army knife sometimes. Our traveling machines have tags on each on telling us what key to use .

Last edited by leonf; 12-04-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:13 PM

I think you might find you like the 99, Bkay. I've have several and I very much enjoy quilt piecing on them. They are more "substantial" than a Featherweight, sew as well as a 66 or 201, and are more portable. I really like my 99s.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:14 PM

Is the top off yet? I don't think bent wood cases were ever meant to be carried by the handle on top, certainly not longer distances. On each side of the base there is a cut out space for for hands to lift it. With a bit of effort you can get the lock open with a small size crochet pin, hook, screw driver, something like that. The correct keys can be found on the web, ebay, Helen Howes', etc. The side with the lock lifts right up when it's open (sort of hooks that slide and release the grip), the other side has a fixed metal bit you insert the according lid part into and move it a notch to the side. My 99K has a key with simanco number 96507, it's a 1934 bentwood model like yours.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post

a you tube - (I'm not sure what tool that person is using. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO586bhUfto

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Not affiliated with off-site links
She says it's a small screwdriver. I tried it, but didn't have much luck (I was afraid to push it too far).

bkay
Old 12-04-2019, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
She says it's a small screwdriver. I tried it, but didn't have much luck (I was afraid to push it too far).

bkay
If I remember correctly, you can go all the way through. It should be a size between the tension screwdriver and the "large" screwdriver in width. It sometimes helps to go in the diagonal. If it is too small it won't catch the corners. Also if you have an old fork that you can bend all but one tines out of the way and use the remaining one to open it. I had one the guys I work with actually cut three off, I still need to cut the handle off so it will fit on a key ring. https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintag...ml#post8188529 I work in a sheet metal shop, so the tools needed are there.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:48 PM

Some of my 99 cases don't have the carved out areas on the ends. Yes the screwdriver can go in quite a ways.