Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • 1965 Singer 411G in original treadle spec: ) Rare?? >
  • 1965 Singer 411G in original treadle spec: ) Rare??

• 1965 Singer 411G in original treadle spec: ) Rare??

Old 08-11-2017, 04:48 AM
    Power Poster

It's amazing that the machine is a treadle! With the belt guard, no less... Congrats on your beautiful find.
    Old 08-11-2017, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin
    The top of the cabinet looks like glass!! Beautiful.
    It has what seems to be a twin pack hard gloss finish, which is, as you say, like glass, & therefore very difficult to photograph indoors. (the reflections are quite distracting: )
    Old 08-11-2017, 05:26 AM

I have an electric 411G, and I just found instructions in my manual on how to modify it to a "treadle" ... I've had my machine for 50 years now, and had never noticed those instructions.

Of course, I'd have to find the required treadle parts. I don't really think I'll go down that road, but it's nice to know that I could ...
    Old 08-11-2017, 07:06 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]578543[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]578544[/ATTACH]
    These are for Miriam. Not best quality because it is dark & thundery here today in Gloucester, UK. So I use my interior Anglepoise lighting... Not the best, but does the job?

The balance wheel unit is different for treadle. No Textolite motor driving cog, just the proper channel for the belt. The hole is where the motor drive would be, if it was fitted.

Looking from the bottom it looks a little strange without the motor, if you are used to Slants.
    Tried uploading a pic of it, but no success....
    The new belt needs a little adjustment here as pictured. As usual: )

I'l take some pics of the chain-stitch essentials if you want.

John.
    Attached Thumbnails 411g-outer-detail.jpg   411g-treadle-balance-wheel-inside.jpg  
    Old 08-11-2017, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2
    1965 is the latest I have seen, at least if it can be confirmed, and the first Singer of this late date. I have suspected a few of the Bernina treadle cabinet I have seen have been late 50s. They are few and far between, but the odd zwing arm ziggzagger with various stitch selection features turn up. I know treadles were made most of the 1950s, but not a late as 1965.
    Well, the serial number is PB538526. Check it out: ) I know it is a very late example for a traditional treadle. Must have been an elderly treadler who ordered it then? I think so. Definitely was a Singer option at the time. And, the buyer knew exactly what they wanted.

Last edited by Olik; 08-11-2017 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Spelilng mitsake...
    Old 08-11-2017, 08:37 AM
    Power Poster

Well that balance wheel answered a big question I had. I think mine either needs a different balance wheel or it needs to be machined to have a groove like yours. The one I have shreds belts because there is so little clearance in that place where the guard bolts on. I have not ever set up to chain. I think I have the parts.
    Old 08-11-2017, 08:39 AM
    Power Poster

I also invite any one concerned to visit victorian sweatshop forum where you can use all caps if you like.
    Old 08-11-2017, 09:39 AM
    Power Poster

That's a beauty!!!
    Old 08-13-2017, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
    Well that balance wheel answered a big question I had. I think mine either needs a different balance wheel or it needs to be machined to have a groove like yours. The one I have shreds belts because there is so little clearance in that place where the guard bolts on. I have not ever set up to chain. I think I have the parts.
    Well, there are definitely 2 types of balance wheels for these machines. One for treadle & one for electric.
    But the electric (standard version) can be modified, as you say by 'simply' providing a proper groove for the belt.

I'd say, if you can do that, it's the best solution.
    You get the ability to use the original electric drive later if you ever want to. The drive cog is still there....

I doubt very much that you will ever find this Singer treadle balance wheel on ebay, or anywhere.
    So 'conversion' is the obvious solution.

My original specced treadle needs a motor, & the balance wheel, (with the 'Textolite' plastic cog) to motorise my treadle!! I'm thinking theoretically here... It won't happen: )

Machining the groove for the belt on yours is covered on Youtube. If you didn't see it already it's quite interesting.

It's just one way of doing it, but looks slightly dangerous to me, if you don't know exactly what you do.

I'd say go for it & try the conversion though: )
    The chain-stitch facility on a treadle is so cool.
    Old 08-14-2017, 02:29 AM

There is a place here in Northern Indiana that will take a brand new Bernina, rip the motor out and make a treadle out of it. Lots of bishops in the Old Order Amish still dictate that you have to have a reel lawn mower, treadle machine. The cabinet makers here want to know if you want a treadle mechanism or electric when you order a new cabinet. The Amish are very resourceful and you can get anything made or fixed.

This is the 3rd largest Amish community in the USA and I just love living here. The work ethic is outstanding. Many older men, older than 70 and still working, making things such as harnesses. I have an Amish upholstery man who hooks a battery to his sewing machine. In his church district that is legal. The bishops keep everyone in line such as the younger girls who want to wear zippers in their dresses and not buttons or pins. Out go the zippers.

The most unhappy people that I know around here and some that have left the Amish community. They feel lost and their kids are real problems.

Marcia