Singer 411G, spool pin pads?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:29 PM

Default Singer 411G, spool pin pads?

I pounced on a 411G today that showed up in Kijiji. It's pretty much "mint" except for the spool pins.
The pins are present, but they flop around. When I looked at the machine, the guy said that he'd made sure they were the right pins (and they look like it), but there was some sort of pad that belonged under them that had crumbled away. I don't have a parts chart for the 411, so I can't look up Singer's part number for it, and google was a swing and a miss.

I have a small piece of it, and it's really weird looking. It's sort of cellular looking, like a piece of corral or a dried up sponge.

My question is, why would it be there? Why make the recess for the pins, then pad it out?

If I know why, I might know what.
As in what sort of thing to use to replace that padding. It's hard and crumbly now, but I don't know what it was like when it was healthy...

I was thinking of using some spool pin felts doubled up til I get the right thickness, but if that padding was firmer, perhaps I need something else?

Either way, the machine is currently marinating in tri-flow.

Picked up a 115 from the same guy too.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:53 AM
Power Poster

My 411G has the same problem - I thought they were broken off - someone tried to 'fix' them - really nice to treadle BTW
Old 10-24-2012, 07:47 AM

I don't have a clue. Even looked up a 411 on ISMACs and it looks like many of the Singers of that era. Were it mine, I'd just put felt pads there. Color code them to match even.

Joe
Old 10-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Joe these are very much like a Singer 401 but they can be put on a treadle with very little trouble. They also can chain stitch.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
My 411G has the same problem - I thought they were broken off - someone tried to 'fix' them - really nice to treadle BTW
I'd been thinking that too! How nice to have a machine I could treadle to do "anything" without power,... and the chainstitch. I don't currently know why, but I think I need that.

Did you ever fix your spool pins, or do they dance like the ones I'm staring at? Can they even hold a spool of thread that way and not mess anything up?

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I don't have a clue. Even looked up a 411 on ISMACs and it looks like many of the Singers of that era. Were it mine, I'd just put felt pads there. Color code them to match even.

Joe
I think I shall color code them red. It's the only color of felt I have. The pins are disassembled already, so it'll just be a matter of cutting and stuffing felt.

There wasn't a lot of information on ismacs at all, they had a manual though. Between that one and the one on Singer's site, I think I have all the info on operating it that I need.

Here's everything I know currently about the machine:
The 411G is a german produced machine. It's closest to that 431G you asked about a month or so ago, just with a flat bed instead of an open arm. (Edit: and also no extension bed. I'll be on the lookout for one of those....) It's got a few differences from a 401 visually (one is that the color is much lighter than the 401. Almost a beige, in fact), and the bobbin winder is "internal" more like the newer machines, plus that chain stitch which it does with only the needle plate needing to be changed. (newer models require a bobbin cover plate, and a slide on guide.) This one has the guide permanently attached, inside that front door, and the bobbin case doesn't get covered, you just remove the bobbin.

I plan on cleaning it up tonight after I finish with a couple of clients. I'll post a pic or two of it in this thread then.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

I had a theory about those pins. I'm guessing someone tilted the head back and hit the wall and broke them off. I haven't bothered to fix them - I have a thread stand. You will really like that machine.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:44 AM

Oh! yours are -gone- gone. I definitely believe they were broken off that way. I have had a few machines the same way. The 401 and the 403 most notably. The pins can be replaced if you ever want to. The online shops want a fair bit for them, but I can get them if you ever need.

I'm really looking forward to trying it out. Darn paying clients stopping me doing that.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:50 AM

Somewhere I have one of those "sort of cellular looking, like a piece of corral or a dried up sponge." things. I didn't know what it was, but it's somewhere in our sewing stuff. Looks like a small 1/2" or so diameter washer made from something ivoryish in color. I'll see if I can find it.

Been sewing on the Commodore today, screwed up my bag bottoms so I might as well do something else. Don't feel like sewing any more.

Joe
Old 10-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Someone removed them - then they put some sort of maybe a sucker stick in there... really cheesy... I just snapped a pic.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]372152[/ATTACH]
They just stabbed that sucker stick right through. I'm not very impressed.
Attached Thumbnails scissors-singer-411-top-thing-009.jpg   scissors-singer-411-top-thing-010.jpg  
Old 10-24-2012, 12:26 PM

Looks like Bubba was around.

Joe