Singer 411G, spool pin pads?

Old 10-28-2012, 10:08 PM

Yeah! It does a chain stitch too!

If that bobbin case -was- repaired, it doesn't interfere with the chain stitch function either.

I sewed a bunch, then ripped the stitches out, and giggled like a maniac. I still don't know the practical use I'll have for it, but I'm thinking of using it to quilt something I piece. I like the look of the chain stitch, and I've seen some people use it decoratively. I suppose that means I'll have to make something bigger than 4" square like my last (first) quilting project.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:26 AM
Power Poster

that chain stitch will hold remarkably well in a seam if you tie off the ends. My mom just had a little hand crank chain stitch machine to get herself through college majoring in Home Ec in the 1940s. She said the teachers laughed at her but her work was good and the stitches held.The chain stitch is nice when you put grow tucks in a little girl's dress. If you look in your manufactured clothes you might just find some chain stitching.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:12 AM

I've read that too. The procedure in the manual took me a minute or two to figure out (weird wording) but it seemed good and strong once I followed the directions.

I think somewhere here on QB, I saw something about some wartime uniforms being chain stitched.

Don't the little ones "stretch" the clothes enough that the seems would pull at the stitches? I don't know that clothes around here ever lasted long enough to be let out.

I'm sure I've seen something here chain stitched, not just bags of rice either. Now I'm going to have to try to figure out what it was. Like the DH doesn't think I'm weird enough already, now he's going to find me snooping in clothes...
Old 10-29-2012, 11:28 AM

Just for my curiosity, which Singer machines have the chain stitch ability.

Joe
Old 10-29-2012, 11:52 AM

These are the ones I know of,.. I'm sure there are more (not including the CS only machines)

The 411, 431 are the only 400 series I know of.
There's a 648 (I think that's the model number) that I have here, it can chain stitch with the right attachments.
And a 758 can chain stitch, again, with the right attachments. Bobbin case cover, slide on guide, and a needle plate.

I have the needle plate for the 648 if you found one that didn't have it and needed it. That machine went to parts for some reason.

Edit: Right... missing too much stuff in the BCase area. Cost of fixing it was about the cost of the 411G.

Miriam, does your BCase have the same epoxy or whatever on it?

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 10-29-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post

Miriam, does your BCase have the same epoxy or whatever on it?
WHere? I should go shoot it.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:09 PM

Thanks, I'll make a note of the model #s and if I see a cheap one I'll grab it. I have some of the chain stitch attachments, maybe all of them in the various boxes of feet, and things we've acquired.

Joe
Old 10-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

my 411g has the same bobbin holder as the 401 - I wonder if someone replaced it - I do not have a manual that goes with my machine - I've never been able to see why it should chain. I'm betting someone swapped out the piece. There is a part in the accessories I've wondered about though. Now I have to go looking...
Old 10-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

I went looking but couldn't find it. Maybe I should change to - "never let stuff you are looking for know you are looking..."
It is a thing that is a bit taller than the bobbin - I never experimented with that thing - the manual I have does not show a good pic of the BCase. That thing might be not even belong to the machine. I don't see any little arm that would make it chain. I guess that's why I never tried it. I just couldn't see how it would do anything.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
WHere? I should go shoot it.
It would be pics 4 and 5 on this post:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5615269

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Thanks, I'll make a note of the model #s and if I see a cheap one I'll grab it. I have some of the chain stitch attachments, maybe all of them in the various boxes of feet, and things we've acquired.

Joe
I'm sure there are more,.. I couldn't possibly have run into all of them in the last couple of weeks. When I get home, I'll try to post a link to the one kit I know about on the Interwebs, so you can see what pieces they are, and gather them into a group. Surely that will unleash the siren's call to a chain stitch machine.

my 411g has the same bobbin holder as the 401 - I wonder if someone replaced it - I do not have a manual that goes with my machine - I've never been able to see why it should chain. I'm betting someone swapped out the piece. There is a part in the accessories I've wondered about though. Now I have to go looking...
The same case? Mine is a completely different number, and has a finger..... again same pics I mentioned above.

I tried to put both plate and bobbin into the 401A last night, to see what would happen. It chained, very loosely, but it chained. I didn't go the other way though.... hm,.. I will have to try that tonight when machine and bobbin cases are in the same place.

The Manual is available through Singer and on Ismacs... the Singer one is better quality.

I went looking but couldn't find it. Maybe I should change to - "never let stuff you are looking for know you are looking..."
It is a thing that is a bit taller than the bobbin - I never experimented with that thing - the manual I have does not show a good pic of the BCase. That thing might be not even belong to the machine. I don't see any little arm that would make it chain. I guess that's why I never tried it. I just couldn't see how it would do anything.
Hah! Story of my life!

If you post a pic of it once you stop looking for it and it turns up, I'll see if it jives with anything in my kit....

I'd sure like to know if yours will chain.... I will try with the other BCase when I get home too... I'd love to be able to chain with a regular case, because this one is not easy to find online anywhere!