Singer 411G, spool pin pads?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller
I would say that what ever that ring does, the arrow indicates a direction of assembly. Just a guess.

Joe
I figured that much...
Old 10-31-2012, 12:31 PM

It seems taller than the bobbin case to me.... just guessing by the length of your finger. And seems backwards from what my bobbin case is doing. I'm not sure that having that in place of the bobbin would perform the same function.
Very strange.

The extra "finger" on my case grabs the thread as it comes around and pushes it up against the moving part on the needle plate, which basically creates the "loop" part of the chain stitch.

I will be able to get into the sewing room today, and will see if I can get the 411 to chain with the 401's bobbin case.

My current suspicion is that it will just act as a regular straight stitch plate without the finger on the bobbin case, but I will post my findings
Old 10-31-2012, 08:21 PM

OK, so what actually happened in practice was completely unexpected.

Here's a pic of both of the bobbin cases side by side. (Looks like attaching photos inline isn't working, so pic 1 is the bobbin cases side by side. The 411 (503602) on the left, the 401 (172082)on the right

When I tried to chain with the 401 BCase in the 411G, the stitches didn't stay in. The needle and thread would pierce the fabric, then come back out, but the stitch didn't stay. So I figured that it wouldn't chain without the bcase that I have.

Pic 2 shows what the 411 bobbin case looks like in place. Note the "finger" where the bobbin case meets the needle plate.

I wanted to see what would happen with that needle plate in place, with the 401Bcase and a bobbin. My guess had been that it would basically do a straight stitch and the needle plate wouldn't do anything, since it didn't quite do the chain stitch it was supposed to without the bobbin in place.

.... It chained. Poorly, but it chained. In fact, it looks a lot like if you put the 411 bcase and the chainstitch needle plate onto the 401....

On the left of pic 3, you see the results from the 401 with the 411 bcase and the chaining needle plate.
On the right, the 411 with a 401 bcase and the chaining needle plate and a bobbin in place.

I bet with tweaking that it might be made to work without the nearly impossible to find bobbin case...

The examples are using the tension settings that Singer suggests in the manual. I have a sneaking suspicion that tweaking the upper tension settings might fix it.

Why it wouldn't chain without the bobbin in place doesn't make a lot of sense,... unless it just needed that tiny little bit to push the needle thread up higher to for the stitch... Miriam, I wonder if that ring -does- fit in the bcase and just pushes the thread up enough to catch the needle plate contraption...

The bobbin thread lays flat on the fabric, it can be tugged out. If you got the tension right, it might look "normal" when it was all finished.
Attached Thumbnails img_4755.jpg   img_4750.jpg   img_4756.jpg  
Old 10-31-2012, 09:02 PM

I have (somewhere) a thimble with an arrow like that. On the thimble the'arrow' is used to cut the thread. I don't know if that applies to this ring, but maybe you could see if it cuts thread.

Cathy
Old 11-08-2012, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
I'm sure there are more,.. I couldn't possibly have run into all of them in the last couple of weeks. When I get home, I'll try to post a link to the one kit I know about on the Interwebs, so you can see what pieces they are, and gather them into a group. Surely that will unleash the siren's call to a chain stitch machine.
Holy Cow Joe, I completely forgot I was supposed to post this.
Richard (Souseandsew) has the parts for the chainstitching 758, 648 series machines:
http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Touc...Guide/56243811
I've dealt with him (today in fact, which is what reminded me of this) and he's pretty good.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
Holy Cow Joe, I completely forgot I was supposed to post this.
Richard (Souseandsew) has the parts for the chainstitching 758, 648 series machines:
http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Touc...Guide/56243811
I've dealt with him (today in fact, which is what reminded me of this) and he's pretty good.
I have a whole drawer full of those things...
Old 11-08-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki
I have (somewhere) a thimble with an arrow like that. On the thimble the'arrow' is used to cut the thread. I don't know if that applies to this ring, but maybe you could see if it cuts thread.

Cathy
I think I remember the lady who runs our sewing circle mentioning some sort of thimble that had two different parts to it. A metal part, that would adjust to your finger, and something else for the top. She didn't mention the thread cutter, but I wonder if she was talking about the same sort of thimble you mention...
Old 11-08-2012, 02:51 PM

I think you should slap them on machines at random then and see if they'll chain. Seeing what it takes to chain now, I bet a lot of machines could be retro fitted...

If I had a whole kit like that, I might try it on a couple of the "newer" machines that would fit that BCase cover. I think it's the geek in me.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

the covers would work but I don't know how the bobbin cover would fit the bobbin area - maybe get a spare bobbin holder and JB weld one on I guess.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:27 PM

It looks a lot like many of the machines in the 600 series use the same bobbincase... possibly the same too with the 700 series. If I ever end up with a set, I may play with the machines that come across my desk. Once I've finished cutting a bunch of quilting squares, and have some room to set up a machine again in my sewing room, I will also try to balance the thread tension with the 401 BCase in the 411G,... because I'm curious.