201-2 and 201K

Old 10-12-2015, 05:54 AM

I don't know much about 201's at all, I've never even seen one in person I don't think. They don't seem to be common in my area. I'd snag one if I saw it, though, after hearing so much about how well they stitch.

Mickey2 - I notice your lamp is on the back - I thought 201's all had the lamp in front! Is yours an aftermarket lamp or is that a normal configuration I just haven't seen yet?
Old 10-12-2015, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
This guy goes on and an about the 201, lots of interesting information. For the most part the Singer factories were very good at producing identical machines and parts where ever their factories were situated. There's usually sub model number where there is any difference. Regarding the 201, I suppose most were fitted with motor and light but I regularly see treadle and hand cranks. Treadle and hand cranks were much more common than I previously assumed, still being made way into the 1950s. I have seen two types of decor on the chrome plates of the cast iron version; an art nouveu pattern which I like a lot, and around 1950, or just before they introduced a pin striped version. Decals might have differed a bit too over the years, but always rather simple gold and black, nothing elaborate compared to earlier models.

As the piece on the 201 says; the last 201s were aluminum in stead of the heavy cast iron, it was given a different look, more angular and modern looking for the time. The internal parts are as far as I know inter changeable. My 201 is from 1950, heavy cast iron, just a few years later they were all aluminum, and the last ones came in a two tone beige and brown. This should account for the different looks of the 201.
Not a bad writeup but with one error. The first 201 ad for 1928 that Alex shows is a Singer 101-Singer's first domestic all electric machine. It does have a full rotary gear driven horizontal hook similar to the 201's design though.
Rodney
Old 10-12-2015, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I notice your lamp is on the back - I thought 201's all had the lamp in front! Is yours an aftermarket lamp or is that a normal configuration I just haven't seen yet?
The 201 with potted motor has the lamp embedded into a groove in the front, I don't think any of the other versions had this light. I've seen two types of light on the 201s, some have the longer more narrow lamp with the open shade. The other is the more lumpy lamp with a switch that turns. It has a thick glass lens in front of the bulb. My light is from a 1949 Singer, I bought it on ebay I remember thinking it wasn't far in age from my machine. When I bought my machine it came with an old black metal lamp, it didn't fit right and wiggled kind of loose back there. I doubt it was after marked, more like just non original. It looked like it had been there from the early 1950s while the original Singer lamps still were in production. On my 201K there is a groove behind the chromed lid in the back, the light is fitted there with a bracket and screw. I'm sure a 201 will turn up near you, there seem to be a lot of them still around. Not that many actually sew on them, I wish more did though.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Not a bad writeup but with one error. The first 201 ad for 1928 that Alex shows is a Singer 101-Singer's first domestic all electric machine. It does have a full rotary gear driven horizontal hook similar to the 201's design though.
Rodney
It's good someone are knowledgeable to clear up any wrong information on this forum :- )
Old 10-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Rodney
Nice catch Rodney I've looked at that site many times and never caught that.

Cari
Old 10-12-2015, 05:37 PM

I have been trying to put pics up of my 201 and for some reason my computer won't let me, so maybe some day I will be able too. I watched a you tube video with a 201-3 and the light was on the back, can't remember if it was a potted motor or not, I am wondering about that, my friend has 201's and says they all have the lights on the front too, so can't figure that out. I do know that sometimes they did just put things differently sometimes on different machines, so I have read and heard.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
I have been trying to put pics up of my 201 and for some reason my computer won't let me, so maybe some day I will be able too. I watched a you tube video with a 201-3 and the light was on the back, can't remember if it was a potted motor or not, I am wondering about that, my friend has 201's and says they all have the lights on the front too, so can't figure that out. I do know that sometimes they did just put things differently sometimes on different machines, so I have read and heard.
A 201-2 has the potted motor and the light on the front. I think, but I'm not completely sure that it's the only full size black Singer with the light on the front. (Not counting the black 301)

Cari
Old 10-13-2015, 04:48 AM

My 201k-4 is an original hank crank, 1936, it has the plate over the spool pin. It came with out the plate over the spool pin, took about 2 years to find one, it sewed just fine without it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/391684...7635200193383/
Old 10-13-2015, 05:47 AM

How interesting...I've been under the impression that all 201's had the lamp in front and a potted motor. Maybe I HAVE seen a 201 locally and assumed it was a 66 because the lamp was in the back and the motor was external! What do you know... Although I think the different spool pin area would have clued me in that it was something different.

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
How interesting...I've been under the impression that all 201's had the lamp in front and a potted motor. Maybe I HAVE seen a 201 locally and assumed it was a 66 because the lamp was in the back and the motor was external! What do you know... Although I think the different spool pin area would have clued me in that it was something different.

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

It's pretty easy to tell the difference between a 66 and a 201. Look for the round stitch length plate. A 66 doesn't have it, a 201 or a 15 does. Then look where the tension assembly is. If it's on the face it's a 15. On the front like a 66, it's a 201.

Cari