201-2 Spool Pin

Old 11-04-2019, 11:28 AM

Default 201-2 Spool Pin

I just got a 201-2 delivered by USPS, and found that in spite of some effort by the seller to protect the spool pin, it was broken off in transit.

Unlike my other machines that simply have a tapered hole for the pin to be force-fit into, this machine has a separate, round plug ,about a half inch in diameter, that appears to be force-fit into a hole in the top the machine, and then the spool pin was in a hole in the middle of the plug.

I'm thinking that the pin might have been threaded, but haven't been able to confirm that, hence the reason for this post.

Has anyone found the need to replace the pin on a 201-2? Thanks.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:56 PM

There are lots of minor differences on the US made 201-2s. I have a 201K23 with threaded spool pins (1955), and I guess the later 201s might have been given a threaded spool pin. I have seen slight differences in finish on spool pins, some are silvery chromed, others look more like nickle finished metal, with a slight yellow tint to the shine. Make sure the new spool pin goes in the right hole, and not one of the oil points. Here the potted motor is few and far between compared to belt driven versions, but yes, I have replaced a spool pin on my black cast iron 201, the top one was missing. It can be a bother to buy new ones, I had to order a used one to get the right tapered end.

If your 201 has a flat chromed plate under the spool pin it's probably takes the tapered type, I'm guessing the versions that has the round metal parts embedded into the body takes the threaded type.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:29 PM

When I finally got a chance to look more closely at the broken pin, I could see just the slightest remnants of threads on the broken end. Then, looking and poking at what was left inside the hole, my suspicion was confirmed when the piece inside the hole rotated a little bit.

Unfortunately, it only rotated further in, I couldn't get it to unscrew. I drilled a small hole in the middle of the piece and was able to jam a jewelers screwdriver in the hole, but could not for the life of me get it to unscrew. It would only go deeper into the hole.

A couple of hours of trying this and that, and I have given up. The only hope I have now is that the round, half-inch diameter piece that in turn had the threaded hole for the spool pin is a press fit in the machine body, and can be popped out from the inside, through the access hole on the back of the machine. It's a difficult angle, but maybe it will work. And, maybe I can get the stub of the spool pin out then.

In any case, I'm now mentally prepared that this will likely become a parts machine.

Thanks, anyway.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:34 PM

This may sound a little crazy, but have you considered "welding" the broken piece in place? I used some J.B. Weld epoxy to "weld" some shelves on a metal bakers rack. The shelves had to hold up some rather heavy tiles and the epoxy worked great.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:21 PM

JB Weld is a great, great product, but like any adhesive, even epoxy, it requires a good (and reasonable size) mating surface between the two parts being attached together. In my case, the break in the pin was not a clean break, and there would only be 1/8" of surface area to epoxy. A bump on the tip of the spool pin could easily defeat that repair. It was a good idea, though!

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:04 AM

Why does the machine have to become a parts machine, because the spool pin is broken. Of all the parts, that is the least needed. Please get yourself a self standing thread stand and set it behind the machine and to the right. You won't regret it.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:28 AM

Don't give up on the spool pin, it will come out. I would go for something like a Dremel to get it out, I guess that's what your using. It should be possilbe to sort of grind it up and pick it out in pieces with out ruining the threading in the body.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:55 AM

I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but the ingenuity and cleverness that usually surround my problem-solving experiences (not really!) totally escaped me during my initial efforts to solve the fractured spool pin dilemma.

Here I was, whining about this insurmountable (I thought) problem, when the solution was really pretty simple. Examining the main piece of the pin that broke off I was able to confirm the stub left behind was threaded. So, after I got over my initial pity-party and I came to my senses, I used a small, round bit on my Dremel to grind a little bit of dimple on the end of the stub. The dimple would keep my drill bit in the center of the stub end as I drilled a hole large enough to force a small jewelers screwdriver into (I didn't have a small enough "easy-out"). Using a pair of vice grips, I was able to unscrew the stub, and amazingly was left with clean threads to put a new spool pin into as soon as it arrives in the mail.

Some days I'm just not as smart as my grandkids think I am.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:01 PM

Glad the hear the machine won't be used just for parts. As far as not being able to come up with a good solution the first time you looked at it - I often come up with a better solution if I just step away and mull the situation over for a day or too.