201 Can't insert needle :(

Old 08-08-2017, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

Default 201 Can't insert needle :(

I got the piece to reinsert the needle thread guide. Thought I had it in correctly but now I can't insert the needle. Took it off and redid the needle thread guide. Still can't insert needle.
Any advice?
TIA
Old 08-08-2017, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

I know the flat side goes on the left.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:08 AM

It should go in. Take of the needle clamp, scrape out the groove in the neede bar with a tooth pick. Make sure the inside of the clamp is clean too. I've had this on both my 201s too, and all the trouble was caused by old dust and grime. I think this trouble happens when we start to oil, if it dribbles down the needle bar it makes old dirt and grime swell up. I was able to insert the needle on my, but it turned out more difficult and acted up in various ways. You could turn the clamp screw looser and wiggle it a bit too, if you already have cleaned behind there. You literally have to scrape this grime out with a pin or tooth pick, it doesn't come off with a cloth or cotton buds.

If I remember correctly the tiny thread guide part has to go in just so to work. I think it can only go in one way or not at all, but I'm not entirely sure.

Last edited by Mickey2; 08-08-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

Well, I found out that the part they sent me is just a tad off. I got it from SewClassic - I emailed the Featherweight shop and sent a photo. They told me that a reproduction part most likely needs a reproduction clamp as well.
I did clean it out with a toothpick. But thanks for the info.
I am going to take it in because the presser foot still won't meet the needle plate when I put the lever down. It's off by a fraction of an inch and I can't figure out how to adjust that. I'm just too frustrated at this point!
Thanks
Old 08-08-2017, 12:30 PM

I understand you. The 201 is worth handing in to a repair shop, it's a joy to sew on this machine. I tend to not give in that easily, take a break, wait until the next day until I start again. Reproduction parts aren't like the original Singer with part numbers on; all it might need is a bit of filing and polishing to fit in place. Bobbins can be annoying too, they will not always go on the bobbin winder because they aren't polished enough inside the "hub".
Old 08-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

I found it in my vacuum cleaner- it's quite a bit smaller than the replacement part (reproduction).
I sent you a pm
Old 08-10-2017, 08:25 AM

So is all good? The original thread guide should fit back into the original needleholder. The manual I sent you should show how to adjust the foot through the faceplate area.

Didn't you speak to the OSMG and he walk you through?

Sorry I am catching up. Not on email yesterday. I was blessed to find a 201-1. Travelled 3 1/2 hrs each way yesterday to pick it up!