201 tension problems

Old 03-18-2014, 02:52 PM

I can't tell from the pic, the angle is wrong, too far away too. Assuming that the needlebar is at the point in post 68, is the needle and the hook lined up like in the second last photo in post 55?

If yes, then the timing is fine. If no, the timing needs to be addressed.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:09 PM

The hook also needs to be close enough to the needle (or it will skip stitches).

The adjuster's manual has the technical details (e.g. the exact distance between them).
Old 03-18-2014, 06:34 PM

Mike, I think chances are what happened is that when Anastasia tried to remove that screw at the bottom, instead of the machine letting the screw go, the hook shaft turned instead. It happens. It's how I ruined the timing on the first one I did too. It's a fairly easy fix, but I don't want to walk her through it if it's not the problem. I doubt it's the clearance in this case.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 03-18-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Mike, I think chances are what happened is that when Anastasia tried to remove that screw at the bottom, instead of the machine letting the screw go, the hook shaft turned instead. It happens. It's how I ruined the timing on the first one I did too. It's a fairly easy fix, but I don't want to walk her through it if it's not the problem. I doubt it's the clearance in this case.
Okey dokey, I'll shut up... after saying this . I was reminded by your video that one machine I've seen had the hook move very slightly so the needle wasn't always close enough to catch the top thread. Exactly the same result as a bent needle, or timing.
Your video is great, incidentally. So many of us are born teachers, but being one myself I wouldn't wish it on you as a career
Old 03-19-2014, 05:15 AM

Tension good! Still skipping stitches though. This is the bottom thread, I couldn't get the front one to come out, it's dark in here today with the rain.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]467964[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails stitches-0319.jpg  
Old 03-19-2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Okey dokey, I'll shut up... after saying this . I was reminded by your video that one machine I've seen had the hook move very slightly so the needle wasn't always close enough to catch the top thread. Exactly the same result as a bent needle, or timing.
Your video is great, incidentally. So many of us are born teachers, but being one myself I wouldn't wish it on you as a career
No! Don't shut up! The more input, the more chances we have of finding the issue.
Which way was the hook moving? side to side, like a wobble? Was it something like a loose set screw or a bent hook shaft? - had one of those on the replacement hook for the 431, which is why I ended up repairing the original instead of replacing it.

Ha! I used to work for the Public School board here, in IT. I was assigned to one of the high schools and I roomed with 3 teachers and we became good friends and would go for drinks after work on Fridays. One day, one of the gals said "I think you missed your calling, I think you'd make a great teacher!" (This after she'd had a nasty day in the classroom with a couple of kids)
I looked at her, eyes narrowed and said " I thought you..... Liked Me!!"
She actually guffawed That said, I do get a good kick out of teaching people who want to be taught.

I'm glad you liked the video. I tried to cover anything I thought could make it really clear as to what timing was. I wish I'd thought to tug the bobbin thread into position first, but oh well.

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Tension good! Still skipping stitches though. This is the bottom thread, I couldn't get the front one to come out, it's dark in here today with the rain.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]467964[/ATTACH]
So roughly 2 stitches in 60 are skipping? If it's timing, it must be very close. What is the answer to the question in post 71?

So to confirm:
1. Threading needle right to left, I'm sure you confirmed this.
2. Needle is inserted with the flat to the left - I didn't see this mentioned, but yes?
3. What happens if you loosen the tension a little top and bottom? Assuming it's still at the 5 it was in the last photo? Maybe to a 4 or so, and about a 1/8 or so turn on the bobbin case.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:26 PM

Too many references in post 71 for a bad brain day yesterday. I'll do my best. I'll have to answer that in a separate post because I will have to work it out like a word problem.

But from up there:
1. Threading right to left. Yes.
2. I will triple check the needle, but I'm pretty sure yes.
3. Those stitch lines are (from top to bottom) tension set at 3-4-5-6. Turning the bobbin case who?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:16 PM

Let me reanswer.
2. No. <--- stupid bobbin was turned the wrong way too. I said I was having a bad brain day yesterday.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468090[/ATTACH]
By Jove, I think we have it! Miriam, I'm not coming this time. We will bond over another machine someday. Unless you want a Kenmore and a Necchi with various broken parts. I might deliver those. :P

Thank you Tammi, Mike, Miriam, TFSR, Rain, Grant, and everyone else involved. I'm like to thank the academy....my mom...Kat for letting me hijack her thread....
Attached Thumbnails again.jpg  
Old 03-19-2014, 08:26 PM

You know, in post 76, I was going to say I was 99% sure it wasn't timing with that few stitches being skipped.

I'm glad you have it sorted. As bonus, I managed to make 4 videos with the 201 yesterday on timing and tension rebuilds, so it was time well spent. (Hint, all 4 can be found on the youtube channel that the timing video is found at. Some chickie posted them all.)

Question 3 had been about loosening the bobbin case's tension screw. Don't worry about it for now. Just go sew something with your 201!!

Kat? If you're still reading this hijacked thread...
1. uh, sorry, I didn't realize we'd hijacked it. For some reason, I thought it was Anastasia's from the beginning, and
2. The tension rebuild videos might be of some interest to you also. They'll touch further on the tension test that Mike was talking about - demonstrate it, and show you how a tensioner is assembled, both on and off the machine.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:18 AM

Which way was the hook moving? side to side, like a wobble?
No, it was just not close enough. Might not have even been a 201, but I've seen a machine where the needlebar was slightly bent at the bottom (it had almost certainly been dropped. It was a while ago, but the problem was identical to a bent needle, because this also moves the needle eye away from the hook. I read in a Singer manual that the distance between the needle eye and hook can be adjusted, but when your needlebar's bent, there's only one solution (yes I bought one off eBay).
Ha! I used to work for the Public School board here, in IT.
You told me your sordid past in a PM I wouldn't do the IT guy's job where I'm working now, though.
2. Needle is inserted with the flat to the left - I didn't see this mentioned, but yes?
You're a genius. Needle the wrong way: Wouldn't have suspected.

For everyone who's reading this: Opposite the flat side is the side with the groove. Thread must enter groove side, exit flat side in every machine. So, all you need to remember is which side you thread it.