Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
50 year old Pfaff Automatic Dial-a-Stitch >

50 year old Pfaff Automatic Dial-a-Stitch

50 year old Pfaff Automatic Dial-a-Stitch

Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 AM

The Pfaff 230 is still alive and going strong for many people and you will find them on Ebay along with parts available. It is worth keeping and using it. Any good sewing machine repair shop can service them.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:13 PM

I have one just like it its a good heavyduty machine I use it for heming jeans I have a elegante and elna they each have there good points but in heming jeans I got my computer machine out of time, it was a costly lesson.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:33 PM

thats a bit more fancy than my mother's Pfaff hers just did zigzag and straight stitch, my sister got it, but I made all my school cloths and even my prom dress on it, sure gave me my love of Pfaff's, (I have 6 right now) all 5 of us learned how to sew on mother's Pfaff, mother and 4 girls
Old 01-08-2012, 04:40 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions and memories! I have decided to have it serviced and found a shop nearby that has a guy who can fix up this model. They said they could probably find some feet too. I did find a few parts I must have (bobbins and the bobbin case) online, as well as the manual cheap from a UK site which I downloaded. I can live without the dial wheel since I don't need all the fancy stitches. It is a little rougher than I thought - the dials are sort of gunky and one seems to be frozen. But I believe the repairman can get it up and running. I am also going to set up my MIL's Bernina 1530 along with my new machine. So I will have backups and once I learn how each machine really works, I will probably switch back and forth depending on the job. Thanks so much for all your info! I have learned so much in just a couple of days!
Old 01-09-2012, 05:30 AM

I have a Pfaff,362-261,trying to get info on it and need a replacement knob, but don't know where to order one from. I have used it in the past and it is a true workhorse. I know I am the 2nd owner, but can't remember the lady's name I bought it from for $150.00. or would call her. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:36 PM

This is a good heavy duty machine...I think that this is the Pfaff that is considered a collectors item for similar to the Bernina 830. I know that an old friend had this machine...wonder if she still does?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:58 PM

If it is a 230 pfaff it is still around. My mother has one. It had a problem last year and she took it to a pfaff dealer where she lives she was told it was unrepairablle after keeping it two weeks. She brought it to me to have my "guy" look at it. I took it to him and later that day he called me to ask who had been working on the machine? I told him a pfaff dealer in Louisiana and he told me that the only thing wrong with the machine was that that"dealer" had wired the motor on backward!!!! It was ready to go in 30 minutes after he cleaned it up. Her machine was bought in Germany in 1952 and hums, and hums, and hums. I will be going to Louisiana the middle to February if you want I will make a copy of the manual. PM me with your name and address. I used to fight with my younger sister who was going to get the pfaff when Mother passed. I stopped waiting and bought my own pfaff 10 years ago. Mother is 89 and going strong. My sister can continue waiting.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:07 AM

I researched manuals and parts this week for my 230 and found there are several places where you can instantly download manuals online, and some will send it to you (costs more, so I downloaded the .pdf file which I can now print if I want or just reference on my computer). The cheapest one I found was a site in the UK, but it is a German machine so I figured that would be fine and it was. Paid with Paypal and downloaded it right away. Site is sewingparts.co.uk. I also found some things on ebay and searched the web for other parts. Nothing is currently manufactured, but there are some new parts that "fit" the machine, such as foot pedals and feet. You have to search using different terms, each time I change the wording on my google search, I find more things because of how the search tags work on different sites and most items will be listed on some kind of auction or a sewing shop site, so keep searching. I have seen the bakelite knobs, bobbins are plentiful, other parts like presser foot lever and needle screw. You may also find parts at your local dealer, esp. if you find a long-time shop. Mine has been around since 1955 so I guess they have a big stash in back because he said he could find me some feet and a foot pedal, used. Good luck! You should be able to find things you need, but some may take time to locate. Keep checking ebay. That is probably the best source because it gets things from all over.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:32 AM

That's too bad you didn't go to the link I provided. The manual is free. Didn't you read my post?
Old 01-11-2012, 04:00 AM

I did, but I could not get their manual link to work. I clicked on my model's link and nothing came up. Tried the search window and got a page that says "Husqvarna Viking" with no data. Tried on both WIndows Explorer and Safari browsers.