66 Project

Old 10-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

As far as cleaning the machine. There did used to be some info on here about dis-assembling your machine and soaking it in kerosene. Do not do that. It is unnecessary. The guy that put that on here was trying to get work painting the machines... enough said. Muv has info on the sticky about cleaning the machines. More than likely a good gentle clean up will do the job. You should also read Glenn's tutorial about the finish. I am working on a tutorial about fixing up an ugly Singer 66. I'm also in the middle of moving so hang in there. I think you got a real good deal - it looks like those decals are in very nice shape. The cabinet is in very nice shape. I think the price was below what it could have been. You have a winner. You have some excellent advice so far. Do some research right here on QB before you do anything to that machine.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:11 AM

Norva,

Miriam and many of the rest of us drool over red eyes like that one. "Do not use any cleaning instructions you might find posted by a former member named Billy" I do not mean to denigrate anyone, but I did follow his instructions before becoming a member here and severely damaged the finish and decals on my #1 Singer 66 red eye.
MUVs video and other members will give you much better instructions.

As it is that machine needs only minor surface cleaning. Those decals are beautiful. Be very careful how you clean it.

Joe
Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

If you want to protect the decals go to Glenn's tutorial on sewing machine finishes.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:25 PM

Norva : I have the treadle parts , that you need they are complete and I live in Bakersfield ,Ca.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:49 PM

Billy was also known as lostn51. Do pay attention to what Joe said.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:53 AM

I found a full set of Black Clamp feet and attachments at my LSMG. His were quite inexpensive. Always check with your local guys / gals first.

Rather than converting your machine, I'd suggest just look for another one. 66s are plentiful and later ones like the 66-16 I picked up the other day are sometimes near mint.

Here is a page from a site that has a photo of the back clamp feet and their part numbers. He still has some but they are expensive. He's also got a conversion kit to turn the back clamp 66 into a side clamp 66 but that kit costs as much as two or three fully functional side clamp 66s do. Anyway here is the link:
{ http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland....e/page104.html }

Joe
Old 10-15-2013, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I found a full set of Black Clamp feet and attachments at my LSMG. His were quite inexpensive. Always check with your local guys / gals first.
Funny you say that Joe. I won an auction on eBay today for a bulk lot of attachments.
I think it had some back clamp feet so I may have solved the problem sooner than expected without changing the presser bar.