9 patch on it's way

Old 11-01-2014, 10:14 AM

Thanks everyone! Caroline, Roserips had me practice for a while when I was at her place and I practiced some more at home before I started.

I'm over half done with the main body of the quilt. Just a simple meander, my skill level doesn't allow for much more. Since the front and back sides don't align perfectly (Do they ever?) I had to pick something where that doesn't matter as well. The borders will be quilted separately just for a change of pace. I'm pleased with how it's looking.

The Rodney machine (15 clone) is working quite well for the quilting. There was no way I was going to try FMQ on Ella. Treadling and quilting at the same time would be too much. I'm not sure if a VS machine can FMQ or not anyway.
There is one issue. I'm not sure how it's happening but the bobbin thread sometimes pops out of it's slot in the case. That throws the tension off so I end up stopping and re-threading the bobbin occasionally.
Rodney
Old 11-01-2014, 05:45 PM

Rodney, what ever you do to the quilt will be fine I know you are doing your best and it's turning out great. Ashleh will sure know of all the love that went into it.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:17 AM

I believe your thread popping out of the bobbin case is due to moving in a direction the machine was not designed for. This causes the thread to be pulled at a slightly different angle than designed.

The first time I FMQ, I used my Viking 990. It did OK in all directions but one, I could go about 345 deg with no problem, but moving within that narrow 15 deg area would almost always cause tension problems, skipped stitches and thread breaking. It was going directly to the left (away) from the needle. If I want a bit up/left or down/left I was ok, but directly left was like I was suddenly on a different machine. Easy enough to work on, except that I'd occasionally forget and "Snap" would go the thread, and I'd have some ripping to do. . . . I'm referring to the direction I was moving the fabric, so technically I was sewing to the right as I moved the fabric to the left . . .
Old 11-02-2014, 03:58 PM

I am asking the machine to do something it really wasn't designed to do so I'm not complaining. I didn't notice which direction I was moving to cause the thread to move out of the tension slot or if it's even related. Just noting a quirk in the performance. Overall I'm very pleased with it and I can see why so many quilters like the model 15s for quilting. Personally I think my clone might have a slight edge just because I'm lazy and don't have to reach under the machine to drop the feed dogs.
More progress. I've been tucking in loose thread tails today. The border is more than 1/2 way done but I'm out of thread and will pick up more tomorrow. I now know why people pick quilting patterns without a lot of starts and stops.
Rodney
Old 11-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

GUESS WHAT????
Ashlea is done with re-hab and is suppose to go back to work!!!
Old 11-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
GUESS WHAT????
Ashlea is done with re-hab and is suppose to go back to work!!!
That is FANTASTIC!!! She is one tough cookie.

Cari
Old 11-02-2014, 05:39 PM

Wonderful news for her! She must be a determined woman!
Old 11-02-2014, 06:27 PM

Great news Miriam! I am really impressed by her recovery! If you see this: Great job Ashlea!
Happy anniversary to you and Caleb as well!
I've pretty much blown every deadline involved with this quilt. Overall though I'm pleased with the progress and how it's looking. It will get done.
Rodney
Old 11-02-2014, 08:09 PM

Congratulations to all...doctors, nurses, therapists and ancillary help as well as those who faithfully kept Ashlea in their thoughts and prayers but most especially to Caleb who must have been her rock and inspiration when the days were dismal and she thought she couldn't persevere any longer and of course, to Ashlea for her strength and persistence.

How happy we all are for this early Christmas gift for your family, Miriam!
Old 11-03-2014, 02:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
Congratulations to all...doctors, nurses, therapists and ancillary help as well as those who faithfully kept Ashlea in their thoughts and prayers but most especially to Caleb who must have been her rock and inspiration when the days were dismal and she thought she couldn't persevere any longer and of course, to Ashlea for her strength and persistence.

How happy we all are for this early Christmas gift for your family, Miriam!
And thank you all for your prayers