9 patch on it's way

Old 11-11-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Ever hear the 1920's song "My Blueheaven"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w-_xbBmXJ4
Actually it was one of the first "real" songs that I learned to play on the piano...a favorite of mine so DH and I named our previous home Blue Heaven which became a landmark on our road for many people (ie "it's between BH and the marina etc). I may still have the original sheet music that my mother had.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:29 PM

I can hardly wait to hear what Ashlea says and thinks about the quilt. Hasn't this been fun for all of us, except maybe Rodney, who worked so hard to make our efforts shine...thanks again, Rodney.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:32 PM

43 pages of thread.....this is truly a labor of love.

Jon
Old 11-11-2014, 05:17 PM

Thanks for this song--brought me to tears--my daddy could whistle like that and I can remember hearing him whistle like that when he was plowing--with a horse, not a tractor.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:10 PM

Thanks for reminding me. The quilt left yesterday afternoon. I need to give Miriam the tracking# for Ashlea and Caleb.
Rodney
Old 11-12-2014, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
Thanks for this song--brought me to tears--my daddy could whistle like that and I can remember hearing him whistle like that when he was plowing--with a horse, not a tractor.
My dad was a whistler too. I remember him whistling something about "an old spinning wheel in the parlor." He also made up his own "tunes."
Old 11-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

My son, Caleb, is a whistler - how appropriate to be talking about whistling on here. He started whistling when he was a baby. I yelled at the older kids for whistling in the car. It was him. He used to walk around whistling all the time. Here is a link: http://calebhawkins.bandcamp.com/album/wood-and-wire It is number 5 the song is 'Seventeen' it is one of my favorite songs. When he does a show he asks the audience to whistle with him. One place he went was serving cookies. Nobody could whistle.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:40 PM

I know we're all waiting to get word that the quilt has arrived so Rodney can post the pictures of the finished quilt.

For my part, Roger, thank you so very much for your taking on a monumental task. Thanks to all of my fellow members here on the QB for participating with your 9 patch blocks! I feel privileged indeed to be a part of this group.

Thanks again, Rodney!

Jeanette
Old 11-16-2014, 02:00 AM
Power Poster

They have the quilt but they also have house guests doing a recording. Rodney might need to go ahead and post pics of the quilt. Caleb told me they want to post something soon.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:06 AM

I was trying to give Caleb a chance to post first but it looks like they're busy for a while.
Here's the pictures you've all been waiting for.
This one is a set of pens and boxes that Soman2 (the other Rodney) made and mailed to me to be sent along to Caleb and Ashlea.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498980[/ATTACH]
They're truly beautiful and thank you for your generosity Rodney!
Next up, Joe Miller (JMiller) and his wife Elaine make totebags for sale that they call whacky bags. Joe and Elaine graciously donated one of their bags so Ashlea would have an easy way to store and carry her quilt. The bag is very well made and is a great match for the quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498981[/ATTACH]
Thank you Joe and Elaine!
Cari-in-Oly kindly took the time to embroider the label on the quilt. It turned out beautifully. While her embroidery machine isn't vintage I can certainly see the appeal of having one.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498982[/ATTACH]
If you're having trouble reading it, it says "A Quilt For Ashlea Hawkins Made With Love By Members Of The Quilting Board 2014". Thank you Cari!

Monopas donated the batting and various members sent cash donations for the fabric used in the sashing and borders and for shipping.
Roserips originally suggested making the quilt and taught me a lot along the way. She helped spray baste the layers together and taught me how to FMQ. I still have a lot to learn but it's a start. These pictures were taken in her sewing studio. I don't have anywhere large enough at home to photograph a quilt this size.

The white block in the center of the quilt in the top photo was made by JudytheSewer. She embroidered it on her Singer 66 IIRC. When I commented on it in another thread she asked if I would like it for the quilt. I said yes. It's the only block in the quilt that isn't a 9 patch. The work is incredible and it's a great example of what these old machines can do in the right hands.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498987[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]498991[/ATTACH]
The quilting pattern is a simple meander in a light cream thread so it would blend in with most of the quilt and because as a beginner it was within my skill level to do an adequate job. Miriam mentioned some hearts would be nice so I tried freehanding some random ones in pink around the borders. I have a lot of respect for the people who can quilt the flawless feathers, flowers and other patterns that I see posted here.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498992[/ATTACH]

Thank you again to all the members here who supported this project! It couldn't have happened without your generosity and all of you working together! I'm very happy I was able to be part of this!
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails ashleas-quilt-my-leg-11-6-2014-025.jpg   ashleas-quilt-my-leg-11-6-2014-027.jpg   ashleas-quilt-my-leg-11-6-2014-028.jpg   ashleas-quilt-my-leg-11-6-2014-036.jpg   ashleas-quilt-my-leg-11-6-2014-037.jpg  

ashleas-quilt-my-leg-11-6-2014-043.jpg