99K Yard Sale Find

Old 07-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by butterflywing
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay you never said anything about the machine being in a cabinet. The machine is a 3/4 sized machine and the vast majority were portable. But a FEW and only a few came in cabinets. You could make a mint off just the cabinet alone not even counting how nice the machine is!

Oh you did very well on this find and keep everything together (cabinet and machine) like your talking about and you will have a very desirable piece.

Billy
the machine is 12" wide and 6.5" front to back. it's 8" to the top of the head.
is that 3/4? the cabinet is mahagony, and needs some work on the varnish where it's crazing, but isn't split or warped. the table legs still have the original brass tapered ends.
the drawer still opens easily, and the metal bracket still has the original pad for supporting the table leaf.

if i refinish the wood, does that diminish the value?
Its 3/4 size, all of your 28, 99, 128, 185J/K, machines were all 3/4 sized. As far as the cabinet if it is crazing a refinish is in order and as long as your careful and bring it back to the original color/finish you should be okay. It is such a nice cabinet and it would be a shame to leave the finish compromised.

I have a secret method of saving finishes but I found out on my 500A cabinet it doesnt help with the later finishes and especially not the crazing. Does great for the older treadle and bent wood cases.

Billy
Old 07-29-2010, 05:16 PM

Awesome!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Fabulous!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Okay you never said anything about the machine being in a cabinet. The machine is a 3/4 sized machine and the vast majority were portable. But a FEW and only a few came in cabinets. You could make a mint off just the cabinet alone not even counting how nice the machine is!

Oh you did very well on this find and keep everything together (cabinet and machine) like your talking about and you will have a very desirable piece.

Billy
the machine is 12" wide and 6.5" front to back. it's 8" to the top of the head.
is that 3/4? the cabinet is mahagony, and needs some work on the varnish where it's crazing, but isn't split or warped. the table legs still have the original brass tapered ends.
the drawer still opens easily, and the metal bracket still has the original pad for supporting the table leaf.

if i refinish the wood, does that diminish the value?
Its 3/4 size, all of your 28, 99, 128, 185J/K, machines were all 3/4 sized. As far as the cabinet if it is crazing a refinish is in order and as long as your careful and bring it back to the original color/finish you should be okay. It is such a nice cabinet and it would be a shame to leave the finish compromised.

I have a secret method of saving finishes but I found out on my 500A cabinet it doesnt help with the later finishes and especially not the crazing. Does great for the older treadle and bent wood cases.

Billy
thee was another machine there that i let slide. it was a larger, heavier machine, pale green. it was GIMBEL, like the old department store. i'm sure it was made for them by another company. i let it go because every moving part was frozen. no matter how hard i tried to move it, i couldn't. it was also in it's cabinet. the machine was very square-ish in shape. he said '54, but thinking back i think later. anyway, gimbel's no longer exists, so i should have taken it.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:54 PM

This cabinet looks like my mothers machine cabinet. I must get around to really looking at her machine.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Banned

thee was another machine there that i let slide. it was a larger, heavier machine, pale green. it was GIMBEL, like the old department store. i'm sure it was made for them by another company. i let it go because every moving part was frozen. no matter how hard i tried to move it, i couldn't. it was also in it's cabinet. the machine was very square-ish in shape. he said '54, but thinking back i think later. anyway, gimbel's no longer exists, so i should have taken it.
I can tell you from experience that frozen machines are really hard to break loose especially the later ones. I can get the early versions 1870s to the 1930's unfrozen fairly easily but the later ones with more moving parts and all are a royal pain!!!

Billy
Old 07-29-2010, 05:56 PM

that was why i turned away. i thought it would end up costing too much to get it going. i'm not a collector or anything. this just fell into my lap.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:01 PM

Hmmm,looks familar! Mine cost me$25.00! Includes the books, extra feet and a seam ripper!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-68522.jpe  
Old 07-29-2010, 06:01 PM

They wanted $50, I thought $25.00 was more than enough. Needs to have a new cord, and the table needs some tightening and cleaning, other than that it runs like a dream!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

Wow....great find! She sure is pretty and I'm glad you are going to be able to get her going again. :D