Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice about Featherweight

A friend asked me to find out what a 1934 Singer Featherweight with the case and attachments is worth. It had been her mother's and she would like to sell it. I believe someone offered her $200. Is this a reasonable price if it is in good condition? Another friend who deals a little in antiques told me it wasn't worth more than $50 because prices of antiques were down. Any advice would be much appreciated.

She could get up to 400.00 for it. Featherweights are never "down" in price.

If it is in good working order, I think it is a good buy. The antique dealer obviously does not know about Featherweights & how the quilters are so hungry for them.

I have seen them sold for $150 to $400 online depending on condition. If it's in very good condition I think $200 is low.

Like everytiing, condition, condition. And market. If she wants to get rid of it , thats not a bad price, but on the other hand I wouldn't sell either of mine for that price ofcourse i use mind every day. good luck

If in mint condition with all original attachments, over $500 wouldn't be out of order. Check ebay to see prices for machines with comparable accessories. The condition of the case will also play a significant role.

Blog Entries
    People will still easily pay $300 for a featherweight where I am, economy or no. Other antiques may be down in price, but featherweights are not going to be down much (if any) because they are useful -- not just something to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyA
    A friend asked me to find out what a 1934 Singer Featherweight with the case and attachments is worth. It had been her mother's and she would like to sell it. I believe someone offered her $200. Is this a reasonable price if it is in good condition? Another friend who deals a little in antiques told me it wasn't worth more than $50 because prices of antiques were down. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    They are worth a lot. Depending on the condition on the machine, the carrying case and the attachments, if the original manual is present and if it doesn't smell musty. Don't ever take the advice of a dealer. If you want to check ebay, is not a good indicator either, because people sometimes get carried away bidding and some times not bid at all for the same item.

Blog Entries
    A dealer may be basing the price on what they'd pay in order to make a profit on the re-sale. $200 sounds like a good price to me. I paid more than that for mine and was happy to get it.

This has been my experiance also.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    I have seen them sold for $150 to $400 online depending on condition. If it's in very good condition I think $200 is low.

She should try for as much as her area can take.

Watching several on ebay and they range 100+ depending on condition and assessories...Some go well over 200....Have a dealer that restores them and sells them 275+.

Two hundred dollars is a great price for the buyer but not as good for the seller. A complete featherweight in good condition would sell in the $300 range in Southern Ontario and perhaps more. Currently our local gently used furniture store has one priced at $325. Her model is also one of the very oldest and may be considered "more collectible" by some.

Certain things the economy may bother, but this is not one of those items. Of course as they say condition is the key factor. I've seen them sell for as much as $575. I have several and may be selling them at one time or another. I even have the "free arm" one. Not selling that one!! I love these. They sew well and are easy to maintain. No one in her family wants it? Pam

Blog Entries
    I paid 375.00 for my first FW. It was in good condition,lots of ware on the decals. But works great. My second, I got for 155.00 on e-bay.No-one wanted to bid on it as the seller said that the light worked but he couldn't get it to sew. I replaced the foot pedal and it works fine. I do need to rewire the light as the old wiring inside on the light is crisp and flaking off.

Thanks for all the advice. I may just buy it myself. Sounds like it might be a good investment. Plus it would look nice in the sewing room.

Banned
    Antique dealer sounds like a crook! Sounds like he is trying to get a machine for free.

Billy

Antique dealer sounds like a crook! Sounds like he is trying to get a machine for free.

Billy[/quote]

I agree!!!

Blog Entries
    I have purchased two ... the price depends on the condition of course, also what is included and if it is in good running order. Sounds like hers is in good condition so I would say anywhere from 250.00 plus shipping to 350.00 plus shipping. It could be put on ebay for bidding... but you have to pay a fee to ebay for selling there.

Blog Entries
    Dealer will by cheap and sell high belive they no there business.

Thanks for all the advice. I may just buy it myself. Sounds like it might be a good investment. Plus it would look nice in the sewing room.
    Use it once for your piecing and you'll love it forever. Plus they're terrific to take on quilting getaways.

Check the wiring, those are old machines and sometimes the wiring should be fixed. Make sure you have it tuned up before you use it or read the directions and clean & oil it yourself before you start. that's about the only maintenance you have to do on them.

One of the gentlemen on here has a topic on maintaining the Featherweight. You might want to read that.

Blog Entries
    I'll buy it for $200.00!

I sent you a PM, did you get it?

Plain Jane, your avatar is adorable.

I have DH Aunt Winn's 1953 Featherweight and couldn't trade it in on a long arm machine 3 weeks ago. So I'll just keep it. I really wasn't trying to trade it in, but the gal at the Sewing center, didn't seem interested, said her brother, father, husband or who ever only wanted collectibles. Needless, to say I didn't stick around there long because at least she didn't know what she was selling or buying. Unless, you really need to sell it, I'd hold out for more as I've seen them for anywhere from $300 to $500 online.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast