Aftermarket Handcranks

Old 04-07-2023, 06:33 PM

Default Aftermarket Handcranks

A recent question about repro hand cranks got me wondering if there were any good quality repro cranks to be had?
I bought one from Amazon last year, expecting junk and I was not disappointed.

I have a couple of 3/4 size machines I'd like to convert over and sell but would only do it if I felt like the hand crank was going to hold up.

It wouldn't even have to be "repro". If it works reliably and a person could reasonably expect it to hold up in the long term, I'd be OK with that. But it can't just be a handle attached directly to the handwheel, it really needs the multiplier.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2023, 10:13 AM

Without saying there are no others, the only reproduction hand cranks I have seen look like this:

https://www.vintagesingerparts.com/c...oke-hand-wheel

(I have no affiliation with Central Michigan Supply). You can find them all over ebay, probably etsy also, etc. They usually come with a properly threaded bolt to mount it.

I modified my last one like this:

https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...e-t319317.html

I have not really pushed one of these cranks, but have sewn with them on machines and they have worked just fine. Maybe someone else will jump on who uses one regularly.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:07 PM

Joe, That looks amazing!!! I'm glad you were able to make your own. I still have the wooden handles from the guy on ebay. (One day I just got the idea to search for a replacement for the plastic boot on the handcrank as he called it and there it was.) I looked at his items recently and it appears he's not selling them anymore. I'm sure if someone knew how to make many of these and sell them and wanted to, they'd make quite a bit. In my personal opinion I think wooden handles look nicer. It seems that the original handcranks are pretty pricey and ones I've seen these days are in the UK and Latvia, mostly.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:25 PM

Thanks Melissa.

To address one of the issues in the initial post, these particular reproduction cranks provide about a 3:1 ratio machine turns:crank turns; you can get the machine moving pretty quickly.
Old 04-09-2023, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
Thanks Melissa.

To address one of the issues in the initial post, these particular reproduction cranks provide about a 3:1 ratio machine turns:crank turns; you can get the machine moving pretty quickly.
Oh, but that hand crank, at least the one I got from Amazon, sounds like a can of nuts and bolts rattling down a dirt road. I can't imagine it's going to last any mount of time. A little wheel bearing grease inside it quieted it down some but I wouldn't feel confident selling a machine with one attached.
Old 04-09-2023, 05:11 AM

I've understand about after market hand cranks. I know that the part that goes between the spokes has a lot of play and the rubber/synthetic padding broke on one of mine. I found some plastic tubing that would fit over padding and it helped fill in some space along with making it a little quieter without it bouncing between the spokes.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 04-09-2023, 08:27 AM

As Melissa noted, there are more original hand cranks on the Eastern side of the Atlantic. It's been awhile, but the last time I looked for one on ebay there was only one and it was $100.

I have re-homed half a dozen or more machines with these reproduction hand cranks, and describe it as such in the ads. And if the hand crank gives out someone can always replace it or motorize.
Old 04-09-2023, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
I have re-homed half a dozen or more machines with these reproduction hand cranks, and describe it as such in the ads. And if the hand crank gives out someone can always replace it or motorize.
So you must not have had any failures of the hand crank reported back in that 1/2 dozen?

I think the prepper/EOTWAWKI crowd would like a little hand crank sewing machine.
Old 04-09-2023, 03:50 PM

When I re-home a machine I spend as much time as the person needs, and I explain the machine is 5-9 decades old, depending on the machine, and that they're "as is". So far no complaints, but it's been a few years since I've sold a machine for more than $40, so if they're failing when they leave my house I'm not hearing about it.