Another Clone?

Old 10-26-2012, 04:36 PM

That dial doesn't seem to help much. Even set on 5 is teeny.
She has about 7 inches from needle to arm, 5 inches from top to bottom- so throat space isn't bad.

I haven't decided if I want to start taking screws out and seeing if I can isolate the stitch length issue or let it go....
Old 10-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
That dial doesn't seem to help much. Even set on 5 is teeny.
She has about 7 inches from needle to arm, 5 inches from top to bottom- so throat space isn't bad.

I haven't decided if I want to start taking screws out and seeing if I can isolate the stitch length issue or let it go....
Triflow oil and heat - something is full of dried up oil - no point in taking the thing apart
Old 10-26-2012, 05:11 PM

Did you clean under the needle plate and oil the feed dogs down below? You don't oil the feed dogs themselves; see where they connect under the machine and oil the moving bits there.
I agree with Miriam--don't take it apart just yet.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:17 PM

I did. There was some stuff on the feed dogs and under the plate but I cleaned it (and bobbin area) good. It was oiled under the machine pretty well. I wiped it and re-oiled.
It's as if turning the knob doesn't "catch"

Mariam, where should I apply the Triflow and heat?

Originally Posted by k9dancer View Post
Did you clean under the needle plate and oil the feed dogs down below? You don't oil the feed dogs themselves; see where they connect under the machine and oil the moving bits there.
I agree with Miriam--don't take it apart just yet.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

Get a good little flash light an look up inside the machine at the dial's under side. There should be something that dial is turning on - there might be some dried oil on it - I've had that happen - Try the Triflow in there first - turn the machine a couple directions and then turn the knob. Let it rest in a way that the Triflow will go into that part. I don't use heat unless I have to... You may need to put a blow dryer up the bottom of the machine or just over the knob - if you have any plastic parts you could melt them... be careful. I had one machine took about a month of oiling on occasion and turning and setting. It moves great now. I've had the reverse stuck too. One was a real b**** - come to think of it - same machine... I think I turned that machine every direction you could - I think I took it apart and had problems because the shaft on that knob was turning and the screw wasn't holding - had to flatten out the shaft just a little bit. Some machines have access through the balance wheel hole or the back of the machine - check to see how you can access it before you take anything apart. Patience. Patience. Patience.