Another find

Old 12-01-2013, 04:24 PM

Default Another find

I found this machine for $20 but basically got it for free. Free because it came with 5 new packages of Singer brand needles and a 25 ct package of vintage 15 needles in new condition, A pair of scissors, and several other sewing notions. If I had bought all this I would have spent over the $20 and it works.
What exactly is it so I can find a new face plate?

Its marked Universal, Standard Sewing Equipment Corp, JA13 Made in Japan.
Attached Thumbnails universal.jpg  
Old 12-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

What plate is it missing? Here is a whole album of Japanese fancy stitch machines: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t207880.html
It looks like that one has a cam stack. It is all mechanical - you turn the knob and you get a different stitch. I hope it isn't all frozen up - oil it and keep that baby going a while. Parts may be available from Sew-classic. Those machines aren't really clones they are Japanese Badged machines. Japanese sewing machine companies made the machines, sold them to various places which put their own name on the machines. Some are better than others. I like the ones that can have the needle positioned in the center or can change positions. The ones that park on the left are some times nice machines but I'm used to the center.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
What plate is it missing?
Looks like the faceplate around the stitch selector knob is broken/missing. At least part of it is.

The chances of finding that part are likely pretty slim.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:36 PM

The face plate has a corner missing but the machine still works as it should. The way I'll find the replacement is to find another machine that hopefully doesn't work. I am starting a collection by looking for a single part and finding other machines that are cool looking or antique/vintage for a few dollars.

Thank you for the information on the machine. I'll check to see where the needle is on this machine.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:50 PM

I still haven't made up my mind yet about the looks of that vintage of machine. They're kind of like bulldogs-ugly but kind of likeable all at the same time. Should be a fun machine for you. At that price I would have grabbed it too.
Rodney
Old 12-01-2013, 08:25 PM

Its ugly but I still like it. It sews well and doesn't appear to have any issues except the broken faceplate. With all the extras it was a good deal and I'll have needles for a long time. The needles fit my other machines so that made it even better.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:05 AM
Power Poster

Ok I finally see what you are looking at. The only way you are going to get one is if you find a machine just like it in better shape. Then you would have to make a hard decision. If you love the way it sews you can live with that machine the way it is. I have one that works like that but I don't know if they are mates or not. I kind of like it. It would never be my go to machine though.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:15 AM

I love it! If I didn't already have way, way to many machines, I'd start collecting the "car dashboard" looking zz machines.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Very cool machine!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Congrats on your find!