Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Another reason vintage is the best. >

Another reason vintage is the best.

Another reason vintage is the best.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:32 AM

Default Another reason vintage is the best.

I'm working on a pair of twin sized quilts for my guest room. The tops are done.... pieced on my 1950s FW. I didn't have a hint of a problem. The FW sewed everything like it was so happy putting together these new quilts. But, everyone said not to do the quilting on the FW.... and really, the throat area is too small for this one.

So, I'm doing the quilting on my Viking 1+. I brought it up to the cabin this year to do this project.... and a couple of other large quilting projects I plan to do while I'm here. I got one block done. Yes, I said one block. Now the feed dog won't move the fabric. The foot pedal will only stitch 3 or 4 stitches (in place, since the feed dog doesn't move it forward) and then it stops.

And all my vintage machines are back at my other place.... 10 hours away...... ARGGG!! And I have to drive 1 1/2 hours to the nearest repair place for the Viking. If it were vintage, you all would help me figure it out and fix it. Since it's a 'puter' machine...... well, let's say, I'm not so happy right now.!! VINTAGE IS BEST!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:05 AM

I've had so many problems with my modern Bernina that I scream on a regular basis. Yes, it's in the shop again. None of my vintage machines ever drop parts out on my lap, have sensors fail regularly or have to be shipped to Chicago for repair:< My vintage machines are always reliable. My newer Bernina does wonderful things when it's working correctly. But, I always wonder when using it, when it will break down again! I feel your pain.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:00 PM

Feed dogs stuck? Perhaps it just needs a bit of cleaning in the bobbin area. Give it another try.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:15 PM

Thanks, Candace. It helps to know I'm not alone.

Mrs. Finch.... I did that.... It works fine until I put the fabric in..... I'll take it in tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll work on the cathedral window quilt..... using the FW.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:14 AM

Are there garage sales or CL ads up there? I'd pick up a Singer 301 or 15 and have at it.

I was in the LQS yesterday and the owner asked me when I was going to give up my 'old' machines and buy a shiny new Janome. I told him when my machines didn't do everything I wanted them to. If the store hadn't been full of customers I would have mentioned that every time I come in, someone is dropping off a shiny machine for repair - his attitude it doesn't matter as the factory covers it and replaces the mother board or whatever. I prefer no repairs, thank you. That being said, I would like an embroidery machine if it were in the budget.

I agree, old is best in most cases.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
I'll work on the cathedral window quilt.....
Ok, I don't want to "hijack" this thread but I would really like to see what a "Cathedral Window quilt" looks like...
Old 07-12-2013, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Ok, I don't want to "hijack" this thread but I would really like to see what a "Cathedral Window quilt" looks like...
http://www.ehow.com/how_2225544_cath...lt-square.html
Old 07-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Banned

thank you. interesting...
Old 07-12-2013, 10:29 AM

SteveH, there's also the 10 minute block which looks the same as the CW, but is totally much easier, or at least it is to me.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Banned

That's cool. the search also showed up "Stained Glass quilts" which was very cool. and closer to what I thought "Cathedral Window" would look like. Actually I was expecting something using Gothic arches...