Antique dealer called us!

Old 06-18-2012, 05:05 PM

Question Antique dealer called us!

Now we are getting phone calls from antique dealers. So we had to go look, right? Well, DH thought we needed to. Sure enough 2 more machines jumped in the back of our truck. A 1938 model 15-91 in a nice cabinet for $25. The instruction manual doesn't hardly look like its been opened. Also had automatic zigzagger with extra cams, the buttonhole maker and a bunch of feet. As soon as I get over pneumonia I'll post pics.

We also pd $15 for a red eye with almost pristine decals. It's a model 15 dated 1918. But it's got a motor bolted on and the round plate on the back is smooth and black with a place for the light wiring to go through. Would the motor and light be original or is this a converted treadle? It will sit in the table that came with it. But the table was originally for a treadle and at one time had a coffin top. But the legs don't have anything indicating Singer and the foot part and treadle parts are missing.

Any insights you might have will be appreciated.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:16 PM

Cheryl, if you got a Redeye, it's a model 66...that's the only model Singer put the Redeye decals on. Redeyes are almost certainly converted if they have the motor and light....electricity was available, but not "common" until the later 20's or 30's.

Exciting stuff!! You got a GREAT deal on the 15-91, and just as good of a deal on the Redeye!
Old 06-18-2012, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the catch Charlee. One number was kind of light and Carl missed it on the first look. It is a 66 dated April 28, 1920. We'd like to convert it back to a treadle if we could find an intact table and parts. We may have to move out to make room for the machines! But we are having so much fun. This winter will be when we do more of the heavy duty clean up, fix up. Too much hay baling to get done and an upcoming visit from daughter and grandson in CA
Old 06-18-2012, 07:15 PM

Hay bailing !! we are right in the middle of haying,, maybe the best season in 20 yrs,, oopps my son is in the middle of haying ,, LOL I watch LOLOL.. he's a contract bailer , and is working all night long this yrs run two crews LOL...

and the turkey wants ME to GIVE him a sewing machine ,
Old 06-19-2012, 05:47 AM

We are just starting our second cutting but have had almost no rain since the first cutting so its VERY short and production is way down. Gives Carl more tome to play with or search out more vintage machines.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:57 AM

Sure would like to see some pictures so I/we can ooooh and aaaah over your two new hitchhikers, especially the Redeye.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:53 PM

Great score! Take care of yourself and get well soon.