Any info appreciated

Old 03-29-2024, 02:40 AM

Default Any info appreciated

Hi I'm a newbie, still learning how to navigate. I was given this machine from a customer on a job we were doing. I've always wanted a treadle machine, and have come across a couple but never could afford at the time. Now I have this beautiful machine and cabinet. I'm so looking forward to sewing on it. I'm hoping to find the manual so I know all the parts are correct, and that I thread it correctly. I'm pretty sure it is a Davis but not sure what year. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6sDmj8ZQ5k8bh4ho6
Old 03-29-2024, 03:01 AM

Can't help you on the manual. Beautiful machine, though!

bkay
Old 03-29-2024, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tagyourit View Post
... I'm pretty sure it is a Davis but not sure what year. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6sDmj8ZQ5k8bh4ho6
Welcome to QB. Your machine is not a Davis. I understand why you would think that as there was a Honeymoon made by Davis, however, yours is not. If you look closely at the Davis Honeymoon machines you will not some differences. The most obvious is that the Davis machine hand wheel pulley is on the outside. Another difference is the needle plate. The Davis is square/rectangle versus yours which is oval. The Davis Honeymoon has the stitch length regulator on the bed and yours is on the pillar.

I think your leaf tension may have been altered some how, as it does not look like any of the leaf tensions I have seen.

I can not help at all as to the age of your machine. But I'm guessing from the mid 1920s.

Interestingly enough I was able to find a New Home Series R Sewing Machine Manual at https://ismacs.net/newhome/new-home-...e-manuals.html that looks remarkably similar to your machine.

YWIA

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 03-29-2024 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:40 AM

I forgot to add that more than likely the machine will take a needle system 20x1. There are sometimes that system of needles that are available on ebay. Some will just drop the modern needles now known as 130/705 H a little bit. There is a thread called
15x1 rather than 20x1 needles
on another forum that uses a magnet the size of the difference to make sure the needle is in the proper position.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 03-29-2024 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 12:17 PM

Here's a link to that post

bk
Old 03-29-2024, 03:21 PM

Pretty machine! I'm no help with a manual. However, I do wonder about the name. Were women supposed to sew on their honeymoon??
Old 03-30-2024, 04:23 PM

Thank you all. I think it is a beautiful machine also. I can't wait to sew on it. I won't try to until I know for certain that all the parts are correct and all parts are in place. I started cleaning and oiling the night I got it home. I've only lightly wiped the paint and decals with machine oil and then left it set. I still have to clean the cabinet and give it some TLC. Hopefully I can find more on it. Wish me luck.
Old 03-30-2024, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tagyourit View Post
.. I've only lightly wiped the paint and decals with machine oil and then left it set. ...
Good for you. I'm glad that is how you went about wiping it down with machine oil.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:35 PM

I forgot to ask OurWorkbench, you mentioned the tension mechanism may have been altered? Can you go into any detail so I can tell what I should be looking at? Thanks
Old 03-30-2024, 06:39 PM

I forgot to ask OurWorkbench, you mentioned the tension mechanism may have been altered? Can you go into any detail so I can tell what I should be looking at? Thanks