Love My Vintage Singers

Old 04-04-2024, 09:26 AM

Default Love My Vintage Singers

I just love my vintage Singers. My new to me model 99K, which I name Gertie, had an issue with the bobbin winder. It took me about 1/2 hour (if that) to fix it once I figured out what was going on. The bobbin winder just needed to be adjusted, though I did have to steal the bobbin winder tire from Ernestine in order to test it once I reinstalled the winder. The old one was so dried out, it broke into 3 pieces when I tried to remove it. These older machines are so easy to work on, especially when you have a husband who is very mechanically inclined. Oh, and of course, youTube helps too . Now Gertie is ready to get some serious sewing done.

Shari
Old 04-04-2024, 10:00 AM

I also love my vintage machines and that it one of the reasons. So easy to maintain and fix. I gave my black FW a spa day last Sunday and she's purring right along. I need to get the white FW out this weekend and give it a cleaning and oiling and replace the belt. It sews fine with the belt that is on there now, but it's ugly orange and has started to squeak when I sew which I find really annoying. Almost as bad as when my FMQ foot on the Juki started squeaking. Fingernails on chalkboard.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:21 PM

I'll jump on board and sing my praises for my sweet Singer 99. And she's a year older than I. I'll second the fact that they're easy to maintain and repair. Right now, hubby is getting ready to rewire her so while I wait for that to be done I will continue to use my Elan 500 electronic. Fanny is not as old as my Singer but she is going on 42 years and also easy to maintain.
Old 04-05-2024, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

I have a vintage Singer in cabinet. I haven't sewn on it in years. Also have the 'white' featherweight I take to retreats for back up. One thing I have always wondered about. What is the 30 stitch length used for?
Old 04-05-2024, 08:43 PM

I used my 328 Singer (1965) over 55 years and never had it to a repair shop - even once. I used it almost daily and kept it in good working order myself with oiling & cleaning. It’s a shame Singer didn’t continue to put out solid, metal machines. Maybe the machines lasted too long for their taste !