Anyone familiar with this?

Old 09-08-2014, 05:08 PM

Nesting is top tension too loose by a lot. This can also be from the thread not being seated fully into the tension disks or the presser foot being left up when sewing.

The most common reason for skipped stitches is the needle is in the wrong way. On the machine you showed here, it's likely flat to the back.

Needles striking the plate are either the wrong needles, bent needles or most commonly pulling or pushing fabric which causes the needle to deflect.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:02 PM

Beautiful machine!!
Old 09-09-2014, 02:16 PM

Nesting usually means the top thread's tension is off. If the top thread isn't picking up the bobbin thread, there may be a timing issue. Hmm. Is the needle inserted correctly? I have a 1603 (the one with the silver foil finish). If you were to take a picture of anything odd, I could compare...

The holes in the fabric w/out stitches could indicate a timing issue or a threading issue (or several other things). My method would be to try to isolate the problem. Make sure you're threading it absolutely perfectly, the needles is inserted and threaded going in the right direction, etc. Put it into straight stitch and move the hand wheel very slowly and see what the needle bar does. Does it strike the plate or come close? If not, does it make a stitch? If not, adjust the tension and presser foot pressure and try again, etc.